Author Topic: jaflong base recipe  (Read 13060 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
jaflong base recipe
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Found this recipe on the net has anyone tried it or something like it i will give it ago when i need my next batch.

ingredients

12 medium onions
1/2 green pepper or 1 small
1 dessert spoon g/g paste
1 tsp salt
squeeze lemon dressing
400ml veg oil
1.5ltr hot water
2 star anise
2 inch pieces cassia bark
2 dry bay leaf
pinch pepper corns
6-8 green cardamom
dessert spoon mix powder
dessert spoon tomato paste

Heat the oil in a pan and add chopped onions and pepper andfry for5 mins until they start to soften then add g/g pasteand fry for a futher 15 mins, now add the hot water bring to the boil then simmer for 45 mins then blend into a smooth sauce adding more water if it becomes to thick.
Bring back up to a simmer and add whole spices and mix powder and mix into sauce now add tomato paste mix in then simmer for another 10mins at thispoint you can add more water to get your prefered consistency and remove whole spices or leave them in if you prefer.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: jaflong base recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Hi Jamie,

I haven't come across this particular base, but I have come across similar.  The first base that I used was the Kushi base.  It too uses whole spices but, you tie them in a muslin cloth to make a kind of tea bag, and simply pop it in the pan along with the rest of the ingredients.

If you are going to try this base, I would suggest that you give the tea bag idea a go.  it will make it much easier to fish out them whole spices when the base is finished.

Ray :)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Hi ray
I thought i had seen a similar recipe but could not remember which 1 it was, is the kushi 1 any good in your opinion?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Hiya Jamie,

Yes, I think the kush base is very very good but, you need to compliment it with the kushi spice.

It comes from the 'Authentic Balti Curry' cookbook, and for me, it's exactly that, Balti!

I have posted various Kushi dishes including the base and kushi spice, so if you go to say, pathia recipes, you will find the Kushi Pathia in there and there are links to the base and the kushi spice.

It is a bit more complicated than other bases but nothing too hard for any of us here

I would defo give it a go, I think you may enjoy it!

Ray :)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Cheers ray
I actualy use the kushispice mix quite a lot its 1 of my favourites so ill give the base a go  see how i get on with it

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:38 AM »
I might be wrong, but was the Jafflong not featured in some of CMB/Mick's Youtube videos?

May well be another Jafflong, but maybe Jamie (or Mick) you could clarify. I don't think I saw a Jafflong base online.

-- Josh

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Hi josh

i think you could be right because the same site that had the jaflong did have cbm recipes on aswell, if you have a look in the video posts i have put up the links will take you there its worth a look.

jamie

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Hi Jamie,

You need to be careful posting recipes from the "other forum" that may be copyrighted, or obtained without the OP's permission.

The Jafflong never revealed the contents of their spice mix and the dishes also call for other pre-made components such as their own recipe onion preparation.

Paul.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Hi paul
Never realised that they would be copyrighted but i actually found the site through a video thats already on here, cheers for the advise

jamie

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59 PM »
hi guys
the recipes for the above restaurant and many more including videos can be see at

www.kitchenstreaming.com/

i have said this before but no 1 seems to care or say great as most feedback these days seems to be of the negative kind. most of the videos are from restaurant kitchens the jafflong posted by sean ryan and when cbm lived on the IOW he got friendly with his local and that is where it all started. the jafflong if any1 cares is in dartford kent. its all there on the above site, just registration no fees etc and you can watch to your hearts content

regards and this is the last time i will mention or post this address,
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes