Author Topic: Gurkha, Army Cattering Manual  (Read 23684 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Gurkha, Army Cattering Manual
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if any body would be interested in a copy? This is from the JSP 404 1993. I also have JSP 404 1965 which has Gurkha and Malay.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:11 AM by commis »

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Gurkha Army Cattering Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Hi Commis,

Saw your similar post in another forum here, and yes would love to read the book.

Meanwhile I would like to get this room going with some recipes? Please help.

And if your book has the pickled vegetables curry that The Great Nepalese Tandoori on Eversholt Street serves I want to buy fifty!!

Mike

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Hi
Well MP, there is no charge it's just that I'm not shure where it stands copy right wise. This is basicly what Gurkha resaraunts use as a start. So please PM me with email addy.
Regards
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:54 PM by commis »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:03 PM »
There are many ex-ghurka restaurants turning up in the south now. We have one in Berkshire, the Shahi, when they first started out they were really good. but recently they have gone down hill big time.

All their sauces started tasting the same, the quality went down hill, the meat content was reduced.

I don't know whether they changed their chef or were just cutting back, but I have not used them for a few months now.

I would however love to see some of their recipes......

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Gurkha Recipes?

Well I'll be totally honest, i've never heard of them?  How far away from BIR cuisine is it?

Ray :)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Gurkha, Army Cattering Manual
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Hi

Just a brief example of the topics covered in the manual.

Chapter 38- Basic Preparations, Masala, Unclassified
Ch 39- Rice Dishes, Simple, Composite
Ch 40- Dal Dishes, Plain. Curried, Unclassified
Ch 41- Meat Dishes, Goat, Lamb, Mutton, Pork, Unclassified
Ch 42- Chicken
Ch 43- Fish Dishes, Fish, Shellfish
Ch 44- Egg Dishes, Boiled, Omelette's, Scrambled
Ch 45- Potato and Vegetable Dishes, Curried, Spiced, Unclassified
Ch 46- Chutneys, Chutney, Rayata
Ch 47- Breads, Chapati, Unclassified
Ch 48- Snacks, Pakora, Unclassified
Ch 49- Sweet Dishes, Milk balls, Puddings, Unclassified

This is not the one from the Gurkha museum, which is there for fund raising and at a cost of ?3.30 + P&P is excellent value.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Razor.....

Mate

Recipes are recipes. I lobbied for a board to celebrate BIR cuisine that wasn't Indian. I ..... well you know the rest.

If this room carries on, we will have

A. Great recipes
B. Good food on the table
C. All of the above

Please answer A, B or C.

If anybody tells me how to moderate (yep - how do I do that?), I will be moderate. (And I won't fiddle my expenses)

Let's cook people....

This is a food forum. Let's find the best recipes for the food we love and cook them. Then eat them. Then share them with friends.

Hoping for feedback

Mike

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Mike,

it is a food forum for sure.

i'd love to be proved wrong but ABC ain't going to arrive for none BIR is it.

why i say this is that the internet & books are full of recipes that offer fantastic results - the trouble is they don't.

unless someone has some insider knowledge on this non BIR how can ABC be delivered. just look how hard it's been to get so far along the BIR journey.

don't get me wrong i'm happy to help it's just the idea of "finding" is a tad blue sky on a grey day in the north west that chucked it down with rain yesterday and tomorrow is a bank holiday.

as i say when a 10 recipe is posted i'll certainly try it out.

ps i'm going for the manual as i knew a serving gurkha a while back and they are more than anyone can possibly imagine - real salt of the earth.

Offline cornwallis616

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if any body would be interested in a copy? This is from the JSP 404 1993. I also have JSP 404 1965 which has Gurkha and Malay.

Regards

If you are around and read this I would very much like a copy of the JSP404 1965,if you can let me know would be most grateful,I have the 93 404 on pdf but would like the 65 404 if you can please

Offline cornwallis616

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Hi IMS,
          I have the 93, JSP404,but I would really like to get hold of the earlier one as well so if you can send me a copy I would be really gratefull then I can really get to do some severe cooking.
I have been in the Military since the age of 13,I finished my tour when a hill decided it did not like me and dropped on me breaking my back as well as other bits but I survived although my career was ended,my one great love is cooking and curry is on the top spot,got dozens of books but I love beyond anything my JSP404 so getting the earlier one would be fantastic,hope you can help,Best Regards.wiggy29@fsmail.net

©2024 Curry Recipes