Author Topic: Bhaji Colour  (Read 2363 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Bhaji Colour
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Hi All ,
I use a T/A just down the road from where I live and although their Curry's vary  ::) their Bhaji's are always delicious and they tend to be a sort of Orangey colour including the Onion , so I asked the owner tonight what they put in the Bhaji's to get the colour
and all he said was ' Orange Food Colouring ' .

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bhaji Colour
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:44 PM »
Hi emin-j

Yep, he is telling you the truth, it probably is orange food colouring, amongst other things.

Ray :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Disappointing to find out isn't it! A bhaji without colouring looks too white which our brain tells us will be bland. My wife has already decided a CTM will be good or bad depending on how dark red the colour is. The more vivid the better!

I couldn't find any orange so I use yellow in my bhajis. Essential I think.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:35 AM »
The IG add KTC Egg Yellow to their Bhaji. I wasn't overly surprised but that was largely due to still trying to overcome the fact they added potato too.

But 'dissapointed' is definitely the word I would have used when I first found out years ago, that the likes of Tikka and Tandoori only look as good as they do because of colourings.

Personally, I don't think there is any need to add colouring to a bhaji. They are never around long enough to study. ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Personally, I don't think there is any need to add colouring to a bhaji. They are never around long enough to study. ;)

Exactly! ;D Though personally the only thing I use food colourings for is cake decorating. Chriswg's wife would have a time of it round our way as they don't use the colourings in the curries/rice anymore :P (only the crap ones still do. Ergo for me, bright red = crap curry) :\

©2024 Curry Recipes