Author Topic: MSG  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Lobster

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
MSG
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:21 PM »
I'm not averse to using it, but i have very little experience with using it and just wondered what peoples thoughts were on it.

How important do you feel the use of MSG is in replicating that BIR taste?

When you use MSG, do you use it as a substitute for salt, or do you use a combination of both?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: MSG
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 02:02 PM »
I've used it in large quantities in both Chinese and BIR cooking and it makes absolutely no difference for me - so I don't use it at all now.

Others here have used it and say that it definitely has an effect so, I think you just have to try it and decide for yourself.

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29 AM »
MSG really 'makes' a chilli dish. It's great at taking away the tanginess of tomato dishes and, of course, it's great for giving you colourful and vivid dreams. Personally, I believe it adds a lot of character to a dish, but you need to experiment and find out which dishes it works with, and which dishes it doesn't. It's magic!   ;D

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I'm not sure it's used in BIR dishes, but it's a major component of all purpose seasoning and I reckon that's definitely used...

Offline JivyJ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:55 AM »
I've never used MSG in BIR dishes but I always use it in Chinese dishes along with salt especially fried rice, make some fried rice and taste it before adding MSG and then taste it after adding it there is quite a difference to the taste.  You will find that it is added to most spice and flavouring mixes and rubs in shop bought preparations.

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Just a little warning for anyone who may suffer from Migraine, or Cluster Headache's.

MSG can be a trigger for both of these condition's.

I have both, not wanting to scare monger anyone, just making them aware.

CArl...

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Jeez Carl, eating out for you must be a real nightmare; no wonder you're learning to make your own curries.

Offline guitarmanguitar

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Cluster Headache are a nightmare Vind.
Had them since my early 30's (also known as suicide headache)
I no longer use conventional Med's, damn nearly killed me.
Psilocybin is now my drug of choice. I was one of the participants in this study.
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/12/1920

MSG is more of a trigger for Migraine.
Chinese cooking uses it a lot. Whenever I have had it in the past, the following day I would always get aura, followed by neck, & headache.

Yes, I do watch my diet carefully.

CArl...

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Hi CArl,

Interesting read that.  LSD reducing headaches!, if only it would have had that effect on me in my ignorant youth, ha

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:00 PM »
i'm along the lines of Secret Santa and Vindaloo-crazy.

i've tried msg a few times in curry and still have pretty much full bag unused . i felt it took me very clearly away from BIR (not as bad as hing). i can't recall exactly how much i used (was posted) but it was certainly very small amounts typ a pinch.

i found it had quite a dramatic effect on the taste - it sort of brought it to life but not in the way of BIR.

having said that i've always wrestled though with the fact that i'm always quite thirsty after BIR and tend to have to drink water in the night. i've just upped the amount of salt i use and the thirst has increased but not on par with BIR.

i do rate all purpose seasoning and use it in some dishes (1/4 tsp) - probably not enough dishes even thinking i should use in all. had not realised it contains MSG and not convinced the amount of MSG is high (although it is No 4 on the ingredient list c/w salt at No 1). the powder does taste v.salty on a wet finger dip.

i can't really decide if APS should go in the base or in the dish though. the more u know about this curry malarkey the more u realise there is still much to learn.

©2024 Curry Recipes