Author Topic: Roast beef  (Read 8444 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Roast beef
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Does anyone here like roast beef? More specifically, do you know a way to cook a small joint, to get it to taste half decent? i know you really need a fair-sized boned joint but, when cooking for one or two people, it's too much.

I cooked the following joint at gas Mk6  (no cover, foil or anything) as suggested on the pack. All I did was smear some sunflower oil all over, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. It came out OK but can you suggest a better way to cook such a small joint?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roast beef
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:07 PM »
George,

2.49? bargin ;D

For me, and this is only my opinion, gas mk 6 is too high.

What I do, I put a large frying pan on the hob, full heat until it's smoking.  I then, smear the joint with olive oil, give it a good grind of sea salt, a good grind of black pepper, and sprinkle half a beef oxo cube all over it.

I then sear it in the frying pan, all over until it is well sealed.

I then transfer it to the oven, preheated at gas mk 4 and cook for 30 mins per 0.5kg and 20 mins over.  Take out of the oven and let it rest for at least 15 mins.

This method never fails me.  It gives me a medium cooked, juicy joint, packed with flavour.

Hope this helps :)

Ray :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:26 PM by Razor »

Offline peteleton

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Cooking it at the temperature it states seems on but i would seal it before hand it helps keep the moister in and don't forget to let it rest so the meat relaxes.

happy eating ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:46 PM »
It all depends on the meat and how good it really is. If the grain separates when raw, then it only needs a small amount of cooking. If not you need to slow roast it.

There are several ways to cook it, but I would go for a slow roast for cheaper meats. Take some flour and add salt and pepper and a good spoonful of mustard powder. Coat the meat well in the flour mix and add to your oven for its slow roast.

If you have a better grain that seperates well, then you can either use a hotter oven or even a griddle pan. If you use the griddle pan, keep the joint moving constantly. This is an Ainsley Harriot tip. I always buy a rib even though it pains my wallet. Sometimes there simply is no alternative.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips so far. I look forward to trying another one of these mini joints soon, with some of your ideas. I just rechecked the cooking time recommended on the label. Mk6 seemed high to me but that's definitely what it says, with no pre-fry in a pan, or anything. So I did what they said as my first attempt, as some kind of reference point. They say 200C/Gas Mk6 medium (i.e. between rare and well done) 25 mins per 500g +  25 mins more. I did that and it certainly came out looking right - the centre was still slightly pinkish in the middle, getting darker towards the edge. Does anyone use a covered dish, slow cooker or anything for a joint that small?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Hi George,

I have a fan assisted oven at home, so I always have to reduce the cooking temps to suit.  If not, everything does get over cooked.

As for the pre frying, it's very rare to see this called for on the cooking instructions but it's a good tip, as it certainly keeps the meet moist.  If there is plenty of marbelling present in the joint, then theres not as much need to sear/seal the joint but out of habit, I still do it :)

Ray :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:39 AM by Razor »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:37 AM »
George,

no real expertise on this. i always cover any joint with foil (Delia tip) and uncover for the last 20 mins to brown. for beef cook at 190C.

my wife has a deep glass covered dish for roasting which she does chicken (180C )& brazing steak (140C). she part coveres with water - works pretty good given the low effort. i think it stands a chance of working for a beef joint.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Slightly pinkish in the middle sounds okay to me, though I do prefer my beef rare or medium rare. One of the most important parts of roasting a joint is resting it. Pop the joint on a plate and loosely cover with foil and rest in a warm place for at least 15mins. This allows the meat to relax and loosen up and by doing so, it draws in the juices and  and becomes much more tender.

I always do pork rolled in foil after removing the crackling and then slow roast. It always turns out perfectly moist and tender. I don't if this will work for beef btu certainly pot roasting is another effective method.

You could also cut the joint into steaks and braise or grill them. Even dicing and casseroling. I usually buy a large gammon joint to roast cutting a couple of steaks from it first.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 11:55 AM »
I was just about to post a rebuttal of the 'searing' and 'time per kg' myths of cooking meat but figured that no one would believe me, so I'll let Heston do it for me!

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/science/kitchen_chemistry/kitchen_myths/index.shtml

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:07 PM »
I remember watching those BBC2 Open Uni Chemistry in Food programmes a few years ago. They went into some detail about the Maillard Reaction, it was really interesting.

Made me very hungry too as they demonstrated it with a beautiful piece of rib. Needless to say we had beef that weekend.

I prefer to think of it as 'Sealing in the Flavour' ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes