Author Topic: Roast beef  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roast beef
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Good old Heston, adding the science to cooking. ;)

Far be-it from me to disagree with the culinary alchemist, but to take issue with his cooking time:

Yes, if you cut a joint in half, the radius will remain the same and yes, the length of time it will take for the heat to penetrate the meat along the length will remain unchanged, however, the distance between the two ends of meat will be shorter, and because the heat attacks from ALL sides, then surely, the cooking time would be reduced somewhat?

Putting meat in a hot frying pan seals in the juices.

Maybe this is nonsense as Heston suggests, however because I like my meat medium, but having the appearance of well done, this method works for me.  If I was to just bang the joint in the oven, and cook it to medium, the outside of the joint wouldn't be cooked the way I like it.  Plus, no matter what anybody say's, searing meat does add flavour, and that's what it's all about in my opinion!

Heston is a legend by the way, but he does over complicate things a bit.

Ray ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Ray you'd like the griddle/BBQ method then. Got it from Ainsley Harriot, he had a rib of beef and simply popped it over a BBQ. The principal is to keep the meat moving to stop it from sticking to the grill. The advantage is you get that really cooked outside but gorgeous and not over cooked inside. I do this bone on and get rare at the centre which I like. If you like it medium, I would suggest cutting the bone out. But don't waste it, cook it alongside as cooks treat. ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Plus, no matter what anybody say's, searing meat does add flavour, and that's what it's all about in my opinion!

That's precisely the point Ray, it adds flavour, it doesn't seal in the juices!

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 03:05 PM »
I use Axe's seasoned flour with powdered mustard rub, a quick seal and whack it in the oven preheated to the highest temp for 20 minutes then turn the gas down to mark 5 and cook for 20 minutes per pound. The longer you can leave it to stand the better. I usually allow mine to stand for 40 minutes-1 hour whilst I do the taters and yorkies. I also add thick sliced onion and if the meat is not on the bone, I buy some beef ribs to stand the meat on whilst roasting for the gravy and for the flavour it adds to the meat itself...oh and a few sprigs of rosemary too. LUSH!

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Great thread people. I too sear it but cook it low and slow for hours. A Hunter here cooked the most fabulous beef I've ever tasted. It was more like Jerky than beef really but I don't mind I like my meat dead in any case  ;D

Nothing like a bit of carbon and gravy, at least for me  ::)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 01:07 PM »
can you suggest a better way to cook such a small joint?

Yes, chop it into small cubes, precook it according to some of the recipes on the forum, and turn it into a beef curry using some of the curry recipes on the forum!  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Yes, chop it into small cubes, precook it according to some of the recipes on the forum, and turn it into a beef curry using some of the curry recipes on the forum!  ;)

That's something completely different. I'm not saying it's bad but it's different. If you went to a restaurant for Sunday lunch and ordererd roast beef, you wouldn't be very pleased if they delivered beef curry.

I agree about the myth of 'sealing' a joint but I'm sure it adds flavour so I'll try that, together with various surface coatings like mustard. Doesn't anyone use a completely different cooking method like microwave, pressure cooker, slow cooker, wrapping in foil, or placing in a covered dish with a little water?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03 AM »
That's something completely different.

But this is a CURRY FORUM George!  Roast beef and Yorshire pudding are something "completely different"!  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 09:13 AM »
If you went to a restaurant for Sunday lunch and ordererd roast beef, you wouldn't be very pleased if they delivered beef curry.

You're obviously on the wrong forum then George!  :-\

Or I am...... :-\

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Hi George,

My dear old mother used to always add water to the roasting tin.

I'm not quite sure why, or what it added, but she was to cooking, what Saddam Hussein was to world piece, god bless her :(

Another suggestion George, fry off the beef on high heat in a frying pan, by all means, then apply a rub.  Wrap in tin foil, and cook on a low heat for as long as it takes to reach your preferred tenderness.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes