Author Topic: Razor's Mixed Spice Blend  (Read 19807 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Mixed Spice Blend
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Hi CA,

The one I really want to crack though is the Dhansak....I think I need to crack the Tarka Dhal recipe first, then get on with the Dhansak

You might want to try using tinned lentils (blended), instead, Ray?  I know of (highly rated) British Indian Restaurants that do this......it wouldn't surprise me to find that many do!

Thanks for the advise.  How would you go about this?  Would you just blend the lentils or would you replace tinned ones for dry ones and proceed with a recipe?

I did try Blades Tarka Dhal but It just didn't come out right.  When it cooled down, it went like cement :( which I'm guessing is wrong?

Another thing, most Dhansak's these days seem to be very mild, but as I remember, my first did have a bit of background heat and I would describe it as medium strength, although, I am also aware that as this was my first ever BIR curry, perhaps even a small amount of spicing would have been hot to me?

Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Another thing, most Dhansak's these days seem to be very mild, but as I remember, my first did have a bit of background heat and I would describe it as medium strength, although, I am also aware that as this was my first ever BIR curry, perhaps even a small amount of spicing would have been hot to me?

I often wonder how much of an effect that this might have on the old question. Certainly, tastebuds do get use to heat over time. I also think that restaurants have toned down the dishes for changes in consumer demand. I know certainly the IG tone down certain dishes for this reason.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Axe,

I've also considered this theory too.  I wonder at what point in time did they (BIR's) start to tone down their dishes?  I certainly can't put my finger on it!

The trouble with this whole 'old/new' thing is, the permutations are endless :(

The regional variances,
The origin of the chef,
The amount of ale consumed ::)
The good and the not so good restaurants
The time of service,

Each of which can apply to the old or new style.  It's going to be difficult for us to replicate any dish, from any era and get the whole forum to agree, that we have cracked it.

With that said, I am getting some really good results using my base, spice and onion paste, very much lending itself to what I remember as 'old' style BIR.  I made a Madras last night which was excellent.  I didn't add any extra salt, and I'd run out of tomato puree, so I used.......wait for it........tommy ketchup instead :o

This along side my onion paste add a lovely sweetness to the sauce, without adding any sugar, which I was well chuffed with ;D

I'm actually thinking of replacing the tom puree with the ketchup as standard but, I will need to prove it out a few times before I settle on this.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43 AM »
If you can get remotely close to what you remember, then it has to be winner. Even if it isn't in other peoples books.

Funny you should mention Ketchup, i've seen all manor of chef's use this in varying ways. Again if it works, why not! I had considered actually playing around with a tin of Tommy Soup in an effort to make CTM. But as it is where it started apparently, I thought i'd give it a go anyway.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Axe,

I had considered actually playing around with a tin of Tommy Soup in an effort to make CTM. But as it is where it started apparently, I thought i'd give it a go anyway.

Check out this recipe mate http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1823.0

Ignore the base, I think any mildy spiced one will do, but check out the main recipe, both soup and ketchup in there!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Just out of interest Ray, have you cooked it since?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Hi Axe,

I have and it's ok, the wife likes it, but I'm not into CTM and Korma's.

It might be worth a go though?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I made a Madras last night which was excellent...I'd run out of tomato puree, so I used.......wait for it........tommy ketchup instead :o.

It's been discussed many times over the year Ray. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that the BIR tomato paste is in fact a tomato-paste/ketchup blend as this would give a looser paste as is often found in the BIRs.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 06:54 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that the BIR tomato paste is in fact a tomato-paste/ketchup blend as this would give a looser paste as is often found in the BIRs.

The IG Tomato Puree could certainly be described as looking very much like Tomato Ketchup. There again, they do mix the puree with oil and garlic, which could also give the same effect, or so it would seem.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Hi SS

It's been discussed many times over the year Ray. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that the BIR tomato paste is in fact a tomato-paste/ketchup blend as this would give a looser paste as is often found in the BIRs.

I've often wondered about this myself.  Certainly in the East webcam, you can see that their tom paste is quite runny.  I have also thought that, when watering down tom paste with water, and adding a pinch of sugar, it's very similar to ketchup.

And if I'm not mistaken, don't they us 'Catsup' (Ketchup) in traditional Indian food, which I've seen in many cookbooks?

©2024 Curry Recipes