Author Topic: Razor's Mixed Spice Blend  (Read 19809 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Mixed Spice Blend
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Another thing, most Dhansak's these days seem to be very mild, but as I remember, my first did have a bit of background heat and I would describe it as medium strength, although, I am also aware that as this was my first ever BIR curry, perhaps even a small amount of spicing would have been hot to me?

Hey Razor, my own experience of Dhansak would also be that they are at the milder end of the spectrum and I do think that curryholics build up resistance to heat over time.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Hi ray

made your spice mix up yesterday and did a chicken madras with it tonight must say one of the tastiest i've done

jamie

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for giving a go mate. Like I've said previously, I created this spice blend to complement my base, so which base did you use and what method?

Thanks again Jamie,

Ray :)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Hi ray

I used ca's base its what i had left in the freezer but when i did ca's base this time i had cooked out the spices 1st like you do with your base as for method it was a mixture of ca's recipe and my own having used lemon dressing instead of juice and i also add some dried fenurgreek leaves to mine because i like the flavour

Jamie

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Hi Jamie,

Sounds all good to me.  I also add dried methi, for the very same reason as you.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Your spice mix looks to be on the money Ray - i like the addition of salt.
Every component should be seasoned, so why not the spice mix? That's the same conclusion i came to.
Chefs in BIRs and in india have told me the importance of adding salt early so that you are cooking with the salt. Gordon ramsay stresses the importance too.
This is why i wrote my earlier post today on another of your threads about cooking rice.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Hi Chinois,

That's my way of thinking also.  It doesn't seem as harsh a taste when used to cook with, plus, it has time to bring out the flavours in the other ingredients, than it would if it was just used at the end.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Razor,

interesting mix - looks derived from Kushi.

have you tried dry methi in place of the powder at all. i ask as the powder and me don't mix but i can now stand the dried in small qty or well fried.

i'm quite settled on the mouchak but like to always have a 2nd mix on stock so to speak and will give this a go next. i currently have kushi 2nd but like the addition of paprika in your mix.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Hi Jerry,

As with any of my recipes, I try to look at the best bits in others, and use them, combined with what I feel are worthy additions.  There is a definite inspiration from the kushi in there, I:E curry powder, garlic powder ginger powder.  As for the paprika, it's there mainly for it's taste but it also helps me achieve a colour that is more akin to authentic BIR.  Word of warning though, make sure that the paprika is pretty fresh, old or stale paprika will ruin the spice mix and any dish made with it!

As for the methi powder, I Love methi.  To me, it epitomises the BIR aroma.  It also adds the savouriness that I like.  It can be powdered Methi seed or dried Methi leaf, it just has to be in there for me.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22 PM »
To me, it (methi/fenugreek) epitomises the BIR aroma. 
Agreed.  Chilli, cumin and methi are surely the three key spices; omit any one, and you have to ask yourself "can this still be authentic BIR ?".

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes