Author Topic: RESULT!!  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
RESULT!!
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:10 PM »
As some of you know, we have been battling with the council to get Residence Order Allowance for the past 2 years....well this morning we received a letter from the solicitors telling us that we had won and that the ROA would be backdated to the time our little boy came to live with us in 1999. :D GERRIN!!!!!!! ;D

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: RESULT!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Hi

Well done, hope you can now settle to a normal life !

Regards

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:20 PM »
Congratulations Domi, what is the Residence Order Allowance?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:49 PM »
A residence order is a court order which allows people to take in children who are at risk/are being neglected by their parents/parents have died - it's not fostering or adoption. We took out a residence order for our little lad who has Noonans Syndrome as his parents were just not able to look after him (mother has Noonans Syndrome and father has fairly severe learning difficulties). We worked alongside the child protection team and it fast became clear that he would be taken into care which I just couldn't bear. Under advice from the social workers, we applied for the residence order. We were told that there would be no financial help whatsoever other than Disability Living Allowance/carer's allowance (at the time we weren't sure just how badly affected our little boy would be, as it turned out, it was quite severely though not quite worst case scenario. We had never heard of the allowance until another family had their successful claim published in the local newspaper...it's taken two years of harrassment to get the allowance in the first place and we were never expecting to have it backdated beyond the date that our claim was actually put in.

There are thousands of people in the same position we were in who have fought through the courts for years and years and social services have treated them incredibly shoddily and many are still battling it out with no end in sight, in that respect we have been very lucky though it's a sad state of affairs...We were lucky enough to have the country's best team of family rights solicitors on our case, others are not so lucky. I know to some it may seem mercenary to chase down financial help but the laws have to be changed, too many families are struggling to raise children which are not theirs and would otherwise be in care at a cost of thousands per week to the taxpayer and yet they receive not a penny.

Sorry for the rant and the long-winded reply lol :P

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I wasn't expecting that, your are clearly quite passionate about the cause and the battle you have just won. The benefit system is a complete shambles and needs a good looking at in my opinion.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Hi

Domi, I take my hat off to you and your hubby for doing that. All the best luck in the world.

Regards

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Great result and what an amazing thing you have done! I hate the idea of any kids being taken 'into care', one with disabilities almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the attention and care they need.

Well done.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Thanks guys :) Anyone would have done the same in that situation and there are thousands in far worse situations that could easily arise for any family. If anyone should find themselves in a similar situation, use the Family Rights Group website....their info and help are invaluable!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Hi Domi,

Anyone would have done the same in that situation

Unfortunately, probably not.  It take special people to do what you and your gezzer have done Dom, your friends and family must be so proud of you.

I hope that you and yours give yourselfs a big, long awaited treat now mmmm, Disney Land me thinks ;D ;D

As long as ther is a good curry house nearby ;D

Ray :)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Well done Domi, you're clearly something special.

©2024 Curry Recipes