Author Topic: Razor's Onion Paste  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Onion Paste
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Hi Axe,

The spicing is quite minimal in the paste so no, I don't detract any from the main dish.  Also, I still use around 300ml of base, as usual.

Ray :)

Offline the chod

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I watched a chef yesterday cook a vindaloo (the best i have ever tasted,yes the best and favourite)
In the technique ,the things that STOOD out for  me, compared to the general standard way, was;

Adding a knob of butter.

And initialy at the beginning, adding about half chef spoon of ,what i can describe as ,an onion mixture (which when quizzed,) suggested it had garlic ,ginger and spices .
that i am investigating now.

It wasnt quite a paste ,as i could still see that there were chopped onions in it,the colour had a kind of tumeric /tomato colour to it .

also to make it clear these were in ADDITION to the usual ingredients, ie. curry base,chilli powder,coriander, tomato paste and lemon juice.

may sound like a daft question ,but,is this post about something like what im describing?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Hi Chod,

I guess it could be, although mine doesn't contain garlic or ginger.  There are many types of onion paste, some believe that they make a difference, some don't.

If you wish to make this onion paste and add garlic and ginger, then go for it mate, let us know how you get on.

Offline the chod

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 03:31 PM »
will do thanks

Offline Baltilicious

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post on here. I noticed the suggestion to add some sugar to soften the onions.

How about adding a little bicarb instead, so you can keep to idea of not using sugar to hold true to BIR kitchens.
Not only will this help to soften the onions but it will help to bring out the flavour too.

I've just made a small batch (1 onion) following the original recipe, to make Razor's Jalfrezi, next week ill try it with some bicarb and report back.

Also completely off topic but Jalfrezi isnt in the site's spell check dictionary!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Hi Baltilicious, and welcome to cr0,

I think that it was artistpaul who suggested sugar in the recipe to caramelise the onions rather than soften them up?

My suggestion would be, just go with what you feel, add bicarb or sugar, garlic and ginger, anything you want really, as long as the onion is in there, it will still be an onion paste but the additions my improve it?

Good luck with my Jal Frezi, and looking forward to hearing what you think of it.  Are you going to make it in conjunction with my spice mix and base sauce?

P.S, yeah, the spell checker doesn't offer a correct spelling for Jal Frezi and usually suggest's 'fried' I think, which is a good description of a Jal Frezi  :D.

©2024 Curry Recipes