Author Topic: Is there anybody out there?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anybody out there?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 01:57 PM »
Also you buggers (if I may be so bold) have the option of popping out to a takeaway in the UK. I don’t have that luxury, so must persist.  Will be cooking again this morning and letting it sit so we can have a nice dinner for Sunday night football tonight.
Taz based Dhansak with Syed’s Dahl from the freezer for added texture.

Phil, I also owned bikes a long time but these days, with idiots texting and driving, just not worth the risk.  A pity, as the weather here means I could ride almost year-round.

Be well everyone.

Robbo

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Yes but I can see the tumbleweed blowing across the screen.

:smiling eyes: :smiling eyes: :smiling eyes: That may be SL but the content remains (well the vast majority anyway),  so I regularly look in and enjoy reading some of what i consider defining post and classic BIR recipes from past (and in rare cases existing) members

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 07:33 PM »
Yes, still here.  Still pottering around with the Manchester dishes.  Great fun.  The Abdul's shami kebab is, I feel, off the chart superb.  The tandoori chicken recipe/method is giving identical results to Rusholme back in the day.  Not the best tandoori by far, but it never was.  Great to try to reproduce things as you remember them though.  On this topic I read today (on one of the Facebook curry sites) it looks like Chef Din will soon be lifting the lid on old school BIR methods and recipes.

Rob     

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 08:49 PM »
it looks like Chef Din will soon be lifting the lid on old school BIR methods and recipes. 

Isn't that what he already claims to be doing? Or is this a new level of "old school BIR methods and recipes"

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 11:04 PM »
He's about to admit that a chicken carcass was a standard ingredient in all bases, vegetarian and otherwise !

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 04:48 PM »
He's about to admit that a chicken carcass was a standard ingredient in all bases, vegetarian and otherwise !

Ten years ago that might have been a revelation. Not so much now.

Offline floydmeddler

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 05:39 PM »
Love the Floyd reference (obviously) :Clown:

I used to frequent this place MANY years ago and have only just logged back in recently. Have never stopped BIR cooking though. It's an obsession. It used to be a lot busier around here. Perhaps times have changed? I've noticed the same over in my homebrew forum (jimsbeerkit). I spend less time on forums these days and seem to gravitate towards Youtube. Some great BIR guys on there.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 01:27 PM »
"Out there, looking in".  I don't remember the last time I cooked a curry from scratch.  I begin to wonder whether an interest in curry cookery, like an interest in motorcycling, horse-riding, etc., etc., is no more than a passing phase for me. 

Well, today I cooked a curry, almost* from scratch.  A Thai green curry with chicken.  And it was very good (I plan to order one from the hotel kitchen to see how it compares).  What inspired me to cook ?  It was lunchtime.  As simple as that.  Normally I eat in the evening, but by the time 18:00 arrives I am usually too tired to do more than grill a hamburger, toast some smoked cheese on toast, or whatever.  Eventually (yesterday, probably) the reality of this began to dawn on me, so today I decided to cook at lunchtime, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing so (as well as eating the results).  So finally I feel inspired to start cooking again.  But from now on, at lunchtime, not in the evening.  Tempus fugit.

* Cook fresh from scratch: Thai green curry & basmati rice with chicken, green peppers, bamboo shoots & lime.  Remaindered at GBP 2-79 in Aldi or Lidl.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:52 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 09:19 AM »
I believe that eating your main meal for the day at lunchtime is much healthier. I know I should do it more often. By chance, I had Thai green curry yesterday, using a kit from Blue Dragon, bought at Asda. A similar kit from Aldi is better value. I was going to try making a similar sauce from scratch but it may be costly to gather together all the herbs and spices which they include in one of the envelopes.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Back to the main thread topic, the lack of any response to my post, or many others, seems really indicative of how participation in this forum has fallen to what may be an all time low. It's so sad. Does anyone have any ideas of how we could re-generate some interest? The group tests done a few years ago were not a bad idea. I am guilty of not posting about things I have done over the past year or two, like buying quite a few curry tree plants and having them all die, before buying some more recently, to try again with a different approach. Maybe someone here knows about how to grow curry tree plants, for example.

©2024 Curry Recipes