Author Topic: Is there anybody out there?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anybody out there?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Well here it is. Dins 70s version of base gravy. https://youtu.be/gFk6oYWeH7Q.

Regards pap rika.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 12:17 PM »
Thanks for the link and heads-up. The base gravy looks well worth trying.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Thank you, this will definitely be my next base batch, although my pressure cooker version of Taz is yielding excellent results for me.

Robbo

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 10:29 AM »
I have a load of the first base he posted. It's in the freezer. The first base uses a boiled chicken carcass as stock. This new recipes makes the precooked chicken in the curry gravy. Then removes it. To be fair to Julian's books , he did write about this method and gave a similar recipe as a Pakistan Curry Gravy. I do like the Chef Dins videos though. They are the clearest instructions I have ever seen. I will be trying some of his new recipes

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 11:12 AM »
Good to see you're still about Pete and still cooking.There is so much info on BIR cooking these days its unbelievable.When I think back to when this site first started-and even before that-think the site was called 'Into curry' or something....the whole BIR process was top secret, chefs were very reluctant to give any info out and some of the methods people were posting were plainly wrong.

I like the look of Chef Din's recipes, his gravy is next on my to do list.It does look similar to one of Julian's, actually when I originally had my home lessons my chef told me that they used to drop a whole chicken into the gravy so I know it's been done in the past.A lovely restaurant I used to go to had the option to have your main dish with either breast meat or dark meat...maybe this was the technique they were using with their base gravy.Does any remember Ghanna on here?  If I remember correctly many years ago she found out here local curry house were putting some sort of chicken jelly/stock/bones in theier garvy...I think she was a vegetarian and so was most upset.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 01:27 PM »
Does any remember Ghanna on here?  If I remember correctly many years ago she found out here local curry house were putting some sort of chicken jelly/stock/bones in theier garvy...I think she was a vegetarian and so was most upset.

Yes, I remember Ghanna, but she was definitely not a vegetarian — she wrote about cooking chicken, for example, and clearly wasn't cooking just for others.  Here is an early reference to chicken in the base on which she commented.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:23 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Chef Din's old school 1970's base gravy and pre-cooked chicken.

Would it be possible for a moderator to move the posts related to Chef Din's base and pre-cooked chicken to a new thread?  Seems a bit lost in this one about lack of forum participation and it doesn't encourage comment.  It may be difficult as some posts are sort of all mixed up concerning both participation and the recent videos.

Perhaps it's easier / better to just start a new thread for his stuff from here on and provide a link in this thread.

On topic, it's good to see JB and Pete pop up again.   :like: :like:  From memory JB's Base Gravy was one of the first, if not the first, I ever made from this site and I have a link to it in my shortcuts from way back when I first started BIR.

I'm loving all the recent youtube stuff of the last 12 months or so, but unfortunately it sort of rings poorly for a forum like this one.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Does any remember Ghanna on here?  If I remember correctly many years ago she found out here local curry house were putting some sort of chicken jelly/stock/bones in theier garvy...I think she was a vegetarian and so was most upset.

Yes, I remember Ghanna,

I recall ghanna, of course. Sadly missed as one of the most helpful members ever present on this forum. I just checked forum stats and was very surprised to see ghanna only appears to have been active for less than 3 months in 2005. I always thought of ghanna as female but how is anyone sure? ghanna could be short for something like Graham Hanna.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2021, 09:44 PM »
I think her language was the give-away, George.  English isn't as marked as Japanese in terms of words/phrases that only women use, but Ghanna's prose reads to me as definitely written by a woman.  And she made frequent references to "my family", something that few males do.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes