Author Topic: FAO Admin/Razor  (Read 1326 times)

Offline currypot65

• Chef
    • View Profile
FAO Admin/Razor
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Hi,with the help of Razor i used your base and made Razors spice mix and Madras recipe,which was very good,however looking through the other recipes i seem to be a bit stuck.
The recipes use other bases,ie i keep seeing "kushi"? and others.

Have i choose the wrong base to make?I used it as i remember years ago being told a similar one ie lot of garlic.

What i am trying to ask is,the base,is it really versatile?I cant seem to find anything apart from the madras to make,and the other recipes state different spice mix's compared to Razor's.

Am i consigned to only making Madras :o

Sorry for all the questions and coming across as a half wit,but i thought once i have a base,then i could make different curries in one go!!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Admin/Razor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Hi CP,

Ok, Having never tried Admins base, I couldn't be sure but, Domi (forum member) suggests that it is best for the hotter curries, Madras, Vindaloo, Jal Frezi and so on.

My base however, is versatile for the milder dishes, as it has no chili powder in it, nor does my spice mix. 

Now, I have never made a Korma with my base (not a fan) but I have made Dupiaza, Bhuna, Passanda, Dhansak, and CTM (I think?) all of which turned out really good IMO.

I always worry when people mix and match recipes, that you're never really going to reproduce what the recipe provider intends.  With that said, experimenting is good, it's what it's all about.

With regards to "Kushi".  The Kushi is a Balti house in the Alum Rock area of Birmingham.  The owner, Mr Ali Haydor wrote a book called ' The Authentic Balti Curry'.  So wherever you see "Kushi Base" or Kushi Spice" that's where they originate from.  If you check the mains and supplementary sections, you will see that I have posted many of the Kushi recipes, you may want to give them a go but, they are more akin to balti cooking rather than BIR.  However, they are delicious none the less, and they are what I started with at first.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes