Author Topic: my chillies  (Read 8903 times)

Offline coolflow

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: my chillies
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:48 PM »
you can freeze them when you pick,they turn out just as good..

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:53 PM »
what i do is de-stork them place them on one of your freezer trays loosely but not touching each other, one they have frozen you can place them in an air tight container (sandwich box or something) then put them back into the freezer, using this method the seeds may go brown but that doesn't take away the taste. I also de-seed them and chop them up, place the chopped chillies in a ice cube tray with a little water, once frozen put them in a air tight container. Then you have ready to use blocks of chillies.  If you decide to use freezer bags instead of containers make sure you double bag them. hope this helps

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:29 PM »
update on my chilli plants.. they are coming on quite well..

Bhut Jolokia

Naga Morish

Scotch Bonnets, Nagas and Cayenne

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:37 PM »
So when do you start taking orders?........ ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I guess the bad news for you is that you now need to go out and buy 250 bigger pots. As soon as I got mine in the next size up they had a big growth spurt. It's going to be hard work finding space for them all but I'm like you, I just can't throw any away.

I think I planted mine about the same time as you, maybe 2 weeks earlier. the pinnochios nose and jalapenos are coming along really well, the pusa jwala are smaller but have jsut started putting out flowers.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Have you given any thought to avoiding cross pollination between chilli types? If your super hot female flowers are pollinated by a weaker chilli's pollen you will end up with chillies a lot less potent then they should be.

Apparently bell pepper flowers can get pollinated by chilli plant pollen giving very hot peppers.

It's not something I usually take a lot of notice about, but I remember last year my Dorset Nagas weren't producing any pollen and the flowers were just falling off. Then all of a sudden they were all fruiting. The chillies were extremely hot, but tasted awful. I'm wondering now if that could have been due to the being pollinated by my super chillies instead of by themselves.

I'm definitely no expert on this matter. If anyone has any more thoughts I'd like to hear them too.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 12:55 PM »
hi chris..
yea i got a headache over the amount of plants but im giving quite a few away.. i hope to get rid of them before they flower, the ones i keep i will be trying to keep them separated during flowering to avoid cross pollination.. also im going to self pollinate them to help in this matter. Been trying to talk the wife into letting me build a greenhouse but you know what woman are like..

Offline GreyAreaUK

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55 PM »
It's not something I usually take a lot of notice about, but I remember last year my Dorset Nagas weren't producing any pollen and the flowers were just falling off. Then all of a sudden they were all fruiting. The chillies were extremely hot, but tasted awful. I'm wondering now if that could have been due to the being pollinated by my super chillies instead of by themselves.

I'm definitely no expert on this matter. If anyone has any more thoughts I'd like to hear them too.

No expert here either, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. Cross polination won't affect the fruits of the plant, but rather the seeds of the fruit of the plant, if you see what I mean.

In other words, say your Orange Hab got cross pollinated by, say, a bell pepper. You'd still get Orange Habs, but if you tried to grow new plants from the seeds of the Habs you might get strange results.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26 PM »
time for an update.. i did have too many plants this is what happened..

too many plants and no where to live.

time for them to get their own pad

they all go their own place now..

i finished the greenhouse yesterday so im happy with it now. i got a lot flowering now... remember i planted a month late so they are not as fruitfull as they should be

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39 PM »
good work fi5h

©2024 Curry Recipes