Author Topic: Kebab Group Test  (Read 11564 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Kebab Group Test
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I'll move this thread over to the new section once it is up and running.

I'm doing the Kebab group test today and I have some results in from some of the others too. Once I have all the info I'll post the results. Mine are all in the fridge hardening up ready to BBQ this evening.

Axe - yours better be worth it, they were even more time consuming than CA's!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kebab Group Test
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Chris,

From left to right, who's is who's?

Ray :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:56 PM »
What an awesome tea!

Left to right - CA, Razor, Dipuraja, Curry Dev, Axe.

I'll save my thoughts on the results until everyone has group tested them. I wouldn't want to affect peoples scoring with preconceived ideas. All I'll say is that for me two of them stood out as excellent and one was pretty poor.

By the way Branston Hot Chilli and Jalapeno relish tastes a lot like kebab shop chilli sauce. I ate these kebabs in pitta breads with the relish and raw onion, I didn't have any lettuce unfortunately for that authentic kebab shop taste.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Chris,

That looks like kebab heaven mate ;D

Ill have to get my arse in gear and get cracking on this (world cup, taking up alot of my time)

I don't think that I've got Axe's recipe, has he posted it?

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Looks good :) im at the hospital tomorrow visiting but i'll get mine finished Monday.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Mine are all in the fridge hardening up ready to BBQ this evening

How many of the recipes say to put them "in the fridge to 'harden up'" Chris?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Chris,

I have a few of concerns with this method of recipe assessment (although I think it's great that you and others are actually attempting to do something positive):

a)  You seem to have selected only 5 out of the 10 kebab recipes on the forum.  How did you decide which to try?  Is it fair on the other 5 recipe posters that you haven't tried theirs?  For instance, I know that Haldi's recipe is most likely from a British Indian Restaurant but you don't seem to have included this?  It would seem to me to make sense to include Hadli's recipe in which case?

b)  Some of the recipes are for "sheek kebabs" and some are for "shami kebabs" (e.g. Axe's).  Are you, therefore, really comparing like for like?

c)  You say (above) that you've put them all in the fridge to "harden up".  Only 1 of the 5 recipes (i.e. Curry Dev's) says to do this?  If so, how closely are you (and others) following the recipes?  If not closely, won't your results be influenced by such deviations?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:03 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Hi CA,

Mine also asks for the keema to be placed in the fridge for 1 hour, albeit that it is further down in the thread, post #6.

As for the other 5 recipes for seekh kebabs, no problem, they can also be done in the future, but I don't see another 5 in there CA?

With that said, I don't see a recipe from Haldi in the kebab section either?  I think the only one that is missing is possibly Vin daloo's Sheek/Shami kebab.  The thing with his recipe, is that he specifies "spice blend" but not which one!  So this would be a different taste for each of the testers IMO.

I think that you are correct in how we treat each test though.  We really all need to agree a consistant method or do them exactly to the recipe providers spec although, I do think that all the kebabs would benefit from 1 hours marinating in the fridge, and make them much easier to manipulate!  I can see why Chris has done them this way though, it would be a nightmare if all 5 kebabs had a different cooking method.

I must say though, I'm really not comfortable with reviewing my own recipe. Would I underrate  them as to not come across as biased? or would I overrate them because I want people to try them?

I would like to think that I'm an honest sort, but chefs and amateur cooks (like me) will all put their own dishes on a pedestal above others, and it's this that worries me :o

Anyway, this is the first test, so there is bound to be teething problems at the start but, hopefully, we can get them ironed out as we go along!

P.S,

Sorry for answering on Chris's behalf ::)

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:42 PM »
When i said i would join in with this i said i would follow the recipe to the letter regardless of what my common sense says.
If the recipe says mix then cook, then i mix then cook.
If the recipe says allow to rest/marinade or whatever then ill do that.
It is obvious that a piece of meat thats had spice added to it will taste different when left to rest than it would when freshly mixed. Its a shame because of the 5 recipes were using only 1 has a resting period.
Its the same with the cooking method, i didn't really like the appearance of one kebab but were not judging on looks.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 08:59 PM »
PandJ

Mine asks for an hour in the fridge also but unfortunately, it's mentioned further down in my thread.  I need to ask a mod to edit my recipe if they can?

©2024 Curry Recipes