Author Topic: The Ultimate Ultimate Chilli Con Carne  (Read 20514 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Ultimate Chilli Con Carne
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53 PM »
I'm going to give this recipe a go but I will reduce the quantities of chilli overall.

Me, too. I don't like altering a recipe upon the first try but I don't think I would enjoy so many chillies. It's flavour I'm after, rather than heat. I trust a reduction in the chillies won't affect the flavour too much.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 03:52 PM »
George.. The reduction of the chillies will hardly effect the flavour of the recipe just the heat levels.. i would be curious to your reactions when you have done this dish..

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31 PM »
I don't see anything strange with this recipe, it looks very much like you'd expect a recipe for chilli con carne to look

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:52 PM »
cinnamon works great in a chilli ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 10:23 PM »
looks like a very strange recipe, might give it a bash , never really had chille con carne before as i dont really like mince lol

If you don't like mince, give it a miss!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Had a crack at this tonight which went down a treat. I followed the recipe only opting to use stewing steak instead of mince and left out the Scotch Bonnet. I halved the recipe and ended up using 4 peices of Green & Blacks 85% Cocoa (the chunks are smaller than usual). I cut the steak into small cubes and seared it hard. The method was then followed as is.

The dish had a nice consistency and subtle heat, both the wife and myself feel the missing scotch bonnet could be added next time. Strangely, the chocolate was lost in translation and I feel more could be used. Overall we enjoyed a clean plate of food but felt it lacked a little body. I might be tempted to use a little smoked paprika next time and perhaps some anchovy or a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce.

Thanks for posting the recipe Fish. :)

Offline lagathy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51 PM »
I always add a good tsp or 2 of smoked paprika...works a treat for chilli con'c (and i suspect it will give a similar taste to cocoa powder,without the cocoa  :P )

Also, a tablespoon of dried fenugreek leaves and a sliced pepper enrich the whole flavour.

ive never tried wine though  :-\ :-\ ...can't see it working(more a spag bol thing)but will try it next time i make one.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Axe, glad you liked it, theres always room for improvement, im a heat freak so i like it best when the scotch bonnets are in it lol

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 04:22 PM »
theres always room for improvement

I'd normally agree but not with a recipe which declares it's the Ultimate Ultimate. If it can be improved so readily, it doesn't inspire confidence with the original recipe or the sincerity of the claim. Anyway, I hope to try it within the next 24 hours.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Had a crack at this tonight which went down a treat. I followed the recipe only opting to use stewing steak instead of mince and left out the Scotch Bonnet. I halved the recipe and ended up using 4 peices of Green & Blacks 85% Cocoa (the chunks are smaller than usual). I cut the steak into small cubes and seared it hard. The method was then followed as is.

The dish had a nice consistency and subtle heat, both the wife and myself feel the missing scotch bonnet could be added next time. Strangely, the chocolate was lost in translation and I feel more could be used. Overall we enjoyed a clean plate of food but felt it lacked a little body. I might be tempted to use a little smoked paprika next time and perhaps some anchovy or a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce.

Thanks for posting the recipe Fish. :)

Hi Axe,

I only ever use stewing steak when making a chilli, mince is just not up to the trick. I always after having seared the meat, put it in a pressure cooker with a little water and a Knorr beef stock cube, then cook it for about 5-10 minutes on a low heat after it has started to whistle.

I then add both the beef and the stock juices to the chilli mixture and cook on a medium heat until the meat is really tender and the liquid has reduced to a thick consistency.

The end result is a chilli with soft meat that melts in you're mouth but a good body of flavour behind it. I also add a few splashes of worcestershire sauce too :)

Never tried it with the Chocolate though, must give that a go.

©2024 Curry Recipes