Author Topic: Floyd's Glasgow Chasni  (Read 2596 times)

Offline floydmeddler

• Chef
    • View Profile
Floyd's Glasgow Chasni
« on: October 14, 2021, 05:13 PM »
Hi guys,

I've tried a few 'true' Glasgow Chasni recipes out there and immediately fell in love with this curry. For me, however, the ketchup and mint were a bit too overpowering in the recipes that I tried in that I could taste ketchup and mint rather then experiencing their qualities as part of a holistic flavour experience. I've been working on this recipe for a while now and am finally happy with the levels of each component. Pretty simple but WOW. It's unbelievably moreish! Tangy, sweet and that level of mint just does something completely incredible to the dish; In the same way it adds magic to chicken tikka!  :cool:

I haven't added instructions / method. Just add to the pan in the order listed.

Enjoy!

Glasgow Chasni X 1

2 tbsp veg oil

½ tbsp garlic and ginger paste

1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp methi

1 tsp tomato puree mixed with 2 TBSP water
1 TBSP ketchup
¼ tsp salt

1 TBSP ground almonds

150ml base curry sauce cook down

1 tbsp mango chutney
½ tsp mint sauce

150ml base curry sauce cook down

40ml single cream
1/4 tsp garam masala

1/2 tbsp coriander finely chopped to garnish

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Floyd's Glasgow Chasni
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33 PM »
Chicken pre-cooked or Tikka Floyd? (or either per personal preference?)

Offline floydmeddler

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Precooked chicken tikka all the way for me :-)

Having this this eve. Cooked it last night. Took 10 mins. :-)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 12:19 AM »
What base are you using Floyd? Your own or a particular Glasgow base?  I used Syed's (slight variation) for your Dhansak the other night and it was really good.  I guess it doesn't make too much difference but there is a well voiced argument that some recipes are matched to a particular subset of other ingredients like base and mixed powder etc.

Offline floydmeddler

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:45 AM »
HI Livo,

When I cooked this first, I used Alex Wilkie's (BigBoaby1) base gravy. Loved it although it was a tad too oily for me. Have tried it with Misty's base gravy (from his book) and it didn't quite cut the mustard. Then I tried JB's base for the first time and we really were in business then! This Chasni has never tasted so good. You really taste the benefits of that roasted garlic from JB's base in this Chasni. Just all marries together so damn well.  My wife absoluteyl loved this Chasni last night and she isn't usually a huge fan if it. We agreed that JB's base gravy produces a curry taste that we're familiar with down here in Brighton.

With regards to my Dhansak, I developed that recipe using Misty's base gravy. I'm really excited to try the dish with JB's now. I'm hoping it will lift it to the next level. Or, maybe it won't be as good! If not, no matter. I'll just have a few different bases in the freezer.  I currently have 3 different base gravy in my freezer. Maybe it's time to do a side by side taste test on the same recipe... 

FYI, I use Alex Wilkie's Glasgow chicken Tikka recipe for all my curries. Have never looked back after trying it.

I had this Chasni last night. Do it! :-)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:12 AM »
Thanks for that.  I'll be giving the Chasni a try very soon. It isn't a dish we see out here but it looks good to me.

©2024 Curry Recipes