Author Topic: Aldi Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Aldi Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 10:47 PM »
Agreed George, I inherited these when I married the current Mrs Robbo. She had them given as a gift some 30 years ago and they are still going strong.  No enamel issue here.
Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 10:57 AM »
What do you (both) think of the Chasseur range ?  I have two large round casseroles in this range, and they seem both reasonably priced (tho' not as cheap as Aldi, of course) and durable.
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 07:29 PM »
Over here the Chasseur range is similar to the Le Cruset.  Pricey but last a lifetime.  I have no more need (or room) for more pots.  I fully expect to never replace any of our cast iron cookware.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 09:30 PM »
Well, I may have bought my "Chasseur" casseroles at a time when I was more affluent than I am today, but I don't recall them seeming expensive at the time.  Looking online, it would seem that a Chasseur casserole is around 2/3 of the price of the Le Creuset equivalent in the UK.  Oh, and maybe five times the Aldi version ...
--
** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Finally got around to trying the beef Madras today (the cling-film top was starting to bulge) and I was not really impressed.  Re-heated/"cooked" using the same methodology as the butter chicken, the beef Madras also benefitted from the addition of a teaspoon of kala namak, but the results were not particularly impressive.  I won't be bothering with that one again. 

Next on my list to try is a pack of Kohinoor Lucknow Adraki Bhuna sauce, described as "a robust combination of caramelised onions, tomato, ginger and garam masala (just add 450gm chicken breast)".  Ingredients include onions, tomato, sunflower oil, ginger, red pepper, green pepper, ground coriander, garlic, fresh coriander, salt, white vinegar, deggi mirch, garam masala, ground cumin, ground red chillies, ground kasoori methi and ground turmeric.  Wish me luck !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 08:37 PM »
The Beef Madras I made using Chef Din's base gravy and pre-cooked beef was great, as were the Kashmiri Rogan Josh (also beef) and 2 Chicken curries. Not as convenient as buying ready meals from Aldi but worth the effort.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:29 PM by livo »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 02:40 PM »
the beef Madras also benefitted from the addition of a teaspoon of kala namak,

I looked up kala namak and found the following warning:
https://www.thedailystar.net/health/black-salt-and-its-health-hazard-1451023

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 03:26 PM »
With respect, George, if you were to look up 90% of the things that I consume you would find health warnings associated with them :  dripping, lard, mustard oil, butter, Jersey cream, Jersey milk, red meat, Smarties, Galaxy, Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, Asbach brandy, Armagnac, sugar, ... the list is endless.  One more or one less won't significantly affect my life expectancy, so I shall continue to eat and drink the things that I enjoy, and pay no more attention to any health warning(s) associated therewith than I do to use-by dates, etc.
--
** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Next on my list to try is a pack of Kohinoor Lucknow Adraki Bhuna sauce, described as "a robust combination of caramelised onions, tomato, ginger and garam masala (just add 450gm chicken breast)".  Ingredients include onions, tomato, sunflower oil, ginger, red pepper, green pepper, ground coriander, garlic, fresh coriander, salt, white vinegar, deggi mirch, garam masala, ground cumin, ground red chillies, ground kasoori methi and ground turmeric. 

Sadly not as good as I had hoped.  Good consistency, easy to prepare, but there is an imbalance in the spicing which makes it less than perfect.  Ah well, no alternative but to bite the bullet and get back to cooking real BIR curries, I suppose ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes