Author Topic: To heat or not to heat...  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: To heat or not to heat...
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Not "weeds", George, "weed".  A sobriquet for the marijuana plant (Cannabis sativa or Cannabis indica).
** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:47 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 04:48 PM »
Then it makes it worse by implying I am involved with illegal growing. As I said, shame on Onions. He should stand down as moderator.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 07:29 PM »
It would be my guess George that Onions has made a joke. The most common use of indoor hydroponics chambers is the growth of marijuana. Hence the reference to your "weed factory".  I don't think for a moment he is putting anything on you.
Can I ask you, do you not heat even a single room for some comfort?

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Thank you, Phil, Livo-yes George, it was just a light-hearted remark based on the similarity of your image to other images more closely connected, perhaps, to Bob Marley. No offence intended!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 09:15 AM »
A problem with jokes is that a remark regarded as light-hearted by the person writing or saying something may be regarded as closer to an insult by the person on the receiving end. Onions knows I didn't like the comment and has now modified his previous post by placing a thin line through the offending word. It wouldn't be good enough if someone put a thin line through a racial slur and it's not good enough here. What it also suggests is that Onions isn't interested in these subjects and probably finds my growing chamber a bit odd. So he insulted me by implying I am growing illegal plants. Why?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 09:21 AM »
George, it was a joke — why not take it in that spirit, move on, and return to discussing the relative merits of heated v. unheated homes.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:48 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 04:16 PM »
FWIW, I've had the heating on a couple of hours every day for the last, say, week; but that's putting the dial rarely higher than 16:20. And generally, no more than a couple of hours is necessary, as these terraces (products of the early 20th-c inner London slum clearances) were solid builds and hold their heat well  :like:

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 05:12 PM »
Can I ask you, do you not heat even a single room for some comfort?

I suspect that's what a lot of people do. I tried it for one or two years about 12 years ago but decided it's a bad idea. I heated the room to perhaps 18 or 20C after adding as much insulation as I could to the room. My energy costs were not high and, at those 'normal' temperatures, I was wearing 'normal' clothes. But you can't stay in the heated room all the time. Quick visits to a freezing cold toilet are OK but going down to the kitchen to make a coffee, lunch or evening meal was very uncomfortable or at the least, inconvenient if you need to put on extra clothes simply to leave the heated room, then take them off again.  So I much prefer my current approach of not heating any room, whilst wearing enough clothes to be fully comfortable at any temperature down to almost freezing. As I said before, the coldest it's been inside my house is around 1C or 2C.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 05:54 PM »
And what if you are expecting visitors, George — say, friends for dinner.  Do you advise them to wrap up warmly, or do you heat the house as a courtesy to them ?
--
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Please don't take this as an insult, George, more of an observation.

Have you completely lost the plot?

©2024 Curry Recipes