Author Topic: What are you doing for Christmas this year?  (Read 5405 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing for Christmas this year?
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 11:54 AM »
Phil - the only game bird I have tasted is pheasant, four or five times. I find it edible but don't like the taste anywhere near as much as chicken or turkey. Is the taste of guinea fowl similar to pheasant?

I wouldn't describe guinea fowl as a game bird, George — in the UK at least, they are raised and farmed in much the same way as free-range hens.  As to flavour, nothing like pheasant, and far closer to (a more delicate, more tender and moister version of) chicken.  Do try one — I am certain that you will not be disappointed.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:07 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Do try one — I am certain that you will not be disappointed.

Given your recommendation, I certainly will. Do many/most supermarkets sell them or where do you look - a butchers perhaps?

Update: I found guinea fowl are sold by Waitrose and Sainsburys, for a start.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:04 PM by George »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Belated Merry Christmas and advance Happy New Year to all.  Let’s hope for a better, safe 2022.
In a case of spectacularly bad timing, we closed the sale of our house in the Carolina’s Dec 28 so for Christmas dinner we had Chinese takeout while surrounded by packing boxes.  Very unsatisfactory but needs must.
Two 7 hour drives later and here we are in Batavia, Illinois, west of Chicago, in a rented apartment while we search for a home to buy.

And also search for Indian restaurants…

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Belated Merry Christmas and advance Happy New Year to all.  Let’s hope for a better, safe 2022.

And the same to you, Robbo.

In a case of spectacularly bad timing, we closed the sale of our house in the Carolina’s Dec 28 so for Christmas dinner we had Chinese takeout while surrounded by packing boxes.  Very unsatisfactory but needs must.  Two 7 hour drives later and here we are in Batavia, Illinois, west of Chicago, in a rented apartment while we search for a home to buy.  And also search for Indian restaurants …

Oh.  Singularly ill-timed indeed.  May I ask what forced your move to Batavia ?
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 02:51 PM »
Hey Phil
The lure of grandkids… my missis saw an opportunity to sell the house, retire early, downsize and be able to see the little ones any time she likes and not just by FaceTime.  Our plans went from around 18 months’ time, to “the next 3 months” overnight.  And no we’re here, in a rented apartment, on the hunt for a new home close to family.

Also went from sunny 24 C Carolina to snowy frozen north where overnight will dip to around -20 C this weekend with up to 8 inches snow today.

On the positive side, this restaurant is only 5 miles away and will be my first tryout in 2022.  The menu looks pretty good, going beyond the Butter Chicken and CTM that a lot of Americans think encompasses the entire Indian spectrum.

https://tasteofhimalayas.com/

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 03:52 PM »
Hmmm, 20oC below — not my ideal temperature !  But "Tasteofhimalayas" looks excellent — do please report back when you have tried it, even though the probability of my ever visting it is numerically indistinguishable from zero ...
--
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 09:51 AM »
As to flavour, nothing like pheasant, and far closer to (a more delicate, more tender and moister version of) chicken.  Do try one — I am certain that you will not be disappointed.

I bought a 1kg guinea fowl from Tesco for £8. It turned out as identical as I could tell to chicken so, given I can purchase a perfectly good fresh chicken from Lidl for £2 per kilo, if not less, I regard it as a complete waste of money. Sorry but I simply can't see the appeal. Still, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried. The best poultry I had by far over the Festive period was a pre-spiced and stuffed chicken in a roasting bag from Aldi for 75% off so I think it cost about £1.15. It was so good, I may buy another for the full price of about £4.50

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 02:30 PM »
George, have you ever tried beer can chicken?  Seriously good way to cook a bird.

Robbo

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Robbo - it sounds interesting but I have no idea what's involved so will need to look it up.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 09:10 PM »
Beer can chicken has been around for years.  I can't recall ever actually trying out. 

I remember I used to have an adjustable roasting rack for chickens that had a bottom rack and 2 side racks that elevated and locked in place to form a V shape support for the chicken.  You then placed it into a baking dish which had water poured in to just below the level of the bird.  It used to produce really crispy skin and there was no need to turn the bird over.

©2024 Curry Recipes