Author Topic: Thinking laterally  (Read 782 times)

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Thinking laterally
« on: February 26, 2022, 08:37 PM »
I went to our local Restaurant Depot a couple of days ago. There they have bags of Fajita veg mix. 10lbs cost me $25.

Why did I buy 10lbs of fajita mix? It's green and red bell peppers and onions, chopped into largeish chunks.

So I now have 13 bags of Balti aromatics in my freezer.

.. it would have been 15, but I had some nice bratwurst that was crying out to be paired with those guys  :wink:

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking laterally
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 08:54 PM »
Farmfoods (UK) do something similar — sliced onions (frozen), diced onion (frozen) and diced peppers (frozen).  All excellent for curries and a great time-saver.
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking laterally
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 11:40 PM »
Even better if you can vacuum pack before freezing.  It increases freezer life by multiples. I've always wanted one after seeing how my mate used to buy bulk red capsicum when they were plentiful and avoid paying nearly $10 / kg when the weather causes supply issues.  He would buy a box for very little and spend an hour quartering and seeding before vacuuming and freezing.

Of course they have many other good uses so I still think a vacuum pack unit is on the cards for me pretty soon. I've always baulked at the cost of the consumables, however it appears they are more affordable these days.

©2024 Curry Recipes