Author Topic: Chili isn't Chilli  (Read 1406 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chili isn't Chilli
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 12:50 AM »
I'm learning to judge what is going into these dishes based upon quantity and which other ingredients are used. I can fairly safely now determine if the video presenter of recipe writer is using Chili Powder (a blended seasoning) or Chili Powder (pure ground Chili).  This has come about largely by looking at lots of different formula for Blended Chili Powder seasonings and comparing the listed ingredients to other recipes.

I also happened upon a local blend being sold here in our supermarket called Mexican Chilli Powder which is flagged as being "Medium" heat rating.  It's listed ingredients are 44% Paprika, 17% Chilli, 17% Cumin and 4% each of Oregano, Pepper and Garlic. That makes 90% and there is not explanation of the remaining 10%.

It appears that the usual amount / ratio is around 2 US TBSP per 1 lb of hamburger.  In my language this translates to 28 grams (1 ounce) per 500 grams of beef mince.  If a 1 lb recipe calls for 2 TBSP of Chili Powder it is using a blended seasoning.  If it is using teaspoon quantities for chili powder and has things like Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin and Oregano listed separately, then it is more likely to be using ground chilli. 

As I found out, if you use 2 TBSP (Australian, so 40 grams) of Chilli Powder in a dish it is a tad spicy.

©2024 Curry Recipes