Author Topic: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed  (Read 4556 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed
« on: April 10, 2022, 08:49 AM »
I joined the forum a long time ago with the hope of finding a good balti recipe but have always been very disappointed with the outcome.The same can be said for all the t/a baltis I have tried. Nothing came close to the Holy Grail of a proper Birmingham Balti - my favourite being from a now defunct Al Frash in the famous Balti Triangle - the home of The Balti.

Anyway, without wanting to waffle on and on, Yesterday I was bored and looking for some inspiration, I decided to search the forum for a new base to try and decided to revisit the Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.msg38978#msg38978

I made it almost exactly to spec except I reduced the chilli powder to 0.5 tsp and added 1 tsp salt instead of the 1 tbsp stated. I remembered that when I made the base the first time around, I almost burnt the fresh garlic & ginger puree and added it to the base sauce before I had cooked out the raw garlic taste. Being more experienced this time round some ten years later lol, as soon as it started to catch the bottom of the pan, I added some hot water from the kettle to deglaze the pan and continued to cook it on a lowish heat for a good ten minutes. The recipe states to use 200g chopped tinned tomatoes - which is basically half a tin. (Im pretty sure I added a whole tin first time around). That coupled with the raw garlic taste ruined the base completely for me.
This second time around, I nearly forgot to add the fresh coriander, but remembered just before I blitzed the whole thing. I also added about a pint of water to thin the base down as it was too thick. I left it overnight on the side. (Sorry to be a pain with all this detail, but I wanted to explain exactly as I can, the process that I used as I am so chuffed with the end result!)
This morning at 9am I decided to have a balti breakfast :omg:
I took a raw chicken breast and cut it into 3 strips lengthways and then diced it into cubes. I heated a generous heart stopping 2 chef spoons of oil in a pan and added 0.5 tsp minced garlic paste on a medium heat (5 on my induction hob) and when the splattering started to subside I added about half of the diced chicken breast, and kept stirring until it was sealed. I then turned the heat up to 7 (egg frying temp) and added a ladle of the reheated gravy. I reduced it down hard and added another ladle. Gave it a good stir and then left it alone to reduce down again. I then added a third ladle and a generous amount of coarsely chopped coriander. Reduced it to the desired consistency and 10 minutes later from start to finish that was it. Done
I didnt add any extra spices whatsoever  :omg: :omg: :omg: which is why I reduced so heavily to try and maximise the spices in the base and I can honestly say it is by and far one of the best baltis I have ever eaten anywhere ever. It was actually one of the easiest curries I have ever cooked because there was no additional spices to worry about cooking/burning/overdosing etc and has made it an absolute cinch to reproduce time after time. Ive made five tonight and they are all absolutely identical with no variations in taste whatsoever.

Sometimes as they say: less is more

You all really must try it.

For me, The Birmingham Balti is now cracked 100%. It also makes perfect sense to me because as far as I understand; a balti house was originally the equivalent of a roadside cafe/ burger joint where customers could stop and get a quick meal. I could have cooked it in literally half the time with precooked chicken and higher heat but I always cook raw chicken for 10 mins to make sure its cooked through.

As far as I am concerned my mission has finally been accomplished after 16 years

A massive THANK YOU to everyone on this forum who has inspired me over the years XXX

Kindest Regards

Mickdabass  :cool: :cool: :cool: :owsome: :pit:

PS Ive tried to upload photos but failed. I will post some in the next couple of days!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 08:52 AM »
Wonderful news, Mick, and many many congratulations.
Very sincerely —
** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Thanks Phil

Still buzzing!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Another one I'll have to revisit after such a glowing report. This task is never ending. How I suffer for my art. Or is it how my heart will eventually suffer!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 01:26 PM »
They wouldn't have been churning out hundreds of them daily if it was too difficult.  I love the balti so I'll be giving it a try. I've used the kushi pre-cooks before but I can't recall doing the base gravy.

Oh dear!  Here we go again (but it will need to be next week).  I guess a curry is overdue and I'm itching to try the Instant Pot butter chicken.

We're helping our daughter move house this week and Easter means seafood, so next week for curry.  I have an abundance of fresh choko at the moment so curry spiced choko will be included.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Mick, this makes me so happy to see you nail it.  I’d sworn off making base but now have to try this. Looks very inviting for breakfast.  Once my new grill arrives so I can do my usual outdoor BIR in the back yard, this will be first on the list.

Robbo

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Just hoping it wasnt a fluke with the gravy of course. I went to the offy while the gravy was simmering, and when I got home 20 mins later, all I could smell was the cassia. I thought Id overdone it tbh and very nearly binned the gravy. the ingredients said 1 x 6 inch cassia and the piece I used was about 6 inches but very wide and thin. I took it out at that stage fearing the worst but the rest is history!! . When I got up this morning I was regretting my post as I thought Id over rated the balti. I had a little taste of the remaining one Id got in the fridge and I still say it was absolutely spot on. Happy Days lol

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 10:35 PM »
Nice one Mick, i still use this base today for customers who want a Balti, doesnt take long to knock up too.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 12:21 PM »
I tried to make another batch of Balti gravy but was disappointed with the end result as it was a little bland. I realised I must have used one of our larger teaspoons to measure the powdered spices so I have upped the spices and also given you the weight as the teaspoon was approx 6g (heaped). Also I forgot to say I omitted the mace completely. There is already mace in the garam masala anyway. So while I was at it, I thought I might as well write up a complete guide but still keep the original title for the recipe instead of plagiarising lol

Kushi "Authentic Balti Curry" Cookbook Base MODIFIED

Into a muslin net or spice ball

3 cloves
6 x 1 inch pieces of cassia bark
4 green cardamom pods
2 star anise
3 tej patta bay leaves, dried

Drop this into the pan, along with:

1 kg onion, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
1 l cold water
1/2 green and 1/2 red pepper, chopped
125g fresh carrot, roughly chopped

Stir well.

Bring to the boil.  Cover and simmer for 1 hr stirring frequently.

While that's simmering Take:

30g peeled fresh garlic
30g peeled fresh ginger

Using a blender, make into a paste with a small amount of oil.  Set aside.

Then, in a separate bowl, mix:

2 1/4 tsp - 13.5g chilli powder (optional)
2 1/2 tsp - 15g coriander powder
1  tsp - 6g cumin powder
2 1/2 tsp - 15g turmeric powder
2 1/4 tsp - 13.5g curry powder
1 3/4 tsp - 10.5g dried  Methi
1 1/4 tsp - 7.5g garam masala powder

Weigh 250g of chopped tomato and set aside.

Roughly chop a handful of fresh coriander leaves, and also put to one side.

Into a separate saucepan
add 100ml of vegetable oil. 
Heat the oil then add the garlic and ginger paste mixture.  Stir until it becomes lightly  golden to cook out the garlic. If it starts to catch on the bottom of the pan, pour a small amount of hot water into the pan and stir well. This process takes about 10 minutes on a medium heat.

Take off the heat, and add the spice mix

Stir well, and return to a very low heat.

Add the chopped tomato, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.

Add 600ml (1 pint) of hot water into the mixture, and bring back to the boil, stirring constantly.

Once it has boiled for about 3 - 4 minutes, take it off the heat.

Go back to the large pan of onion mixture.  Once it's boiled for 1 hour, remove the whole spices

Pour the spicy tomato mixture into the onion pan, stir well, and boil for around 5 minutes.

Leave to cool before adding the coriander leaves, and then blend -not too finely

To make balti:

Don't add any extra salt!

Fry 1/2 tsp minced garlic on medium heat in 1 chef spoon oil

Once the spitting has stopped

Add 1/2 large raw chicken breast diced into 1 inch cubes (pre cooked chicken can be used but add at a later stage to avoid overcooking)

Turn up heat

Add 1st ladle gravy

Reduce well

Add 2nd ladle gravy

Reduce well

Add 3rd ladle gravy and reduce to desired consistency

Add chopped fresh coriander stir in and finish on low heat until chicken is cooked

Leave to stand for a few minutes and serve with naan.

Rice is illegal

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 02:14 PM »
Good work Mick, thank you. Saved for later.  Instead of the hour long boil, I’ll be pressure cooking in my Instant Pot. I get good results with that for base.  I’ll be interested to see how my spoon measures and weights tally ( or not).

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes