Author Topic: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 03:37 PM »
Thanks Mick. I've still got a few more portions of my old base to finish off but do intend to give this a go again next. So your clarification is useful.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 02:30 PM »
SS,Robbo, Livo, UF, Phil

I have again remade the base to the updated spec and Im really pleased with the outcome.

To me it makes me realise that we have all the information to create a 100% bir on this forum, but on the other side of the coin, it makes me realise how much fake information we are also fed.

By that I mean all these so called balti spice mixes with obscure additions: rose petals, powdered unicorn horns etc

Looking forward to getting some feedback
Regards

Mick

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Do you realise how many sleepless nights I spent trying to find out where I could source powdered unicorn horn, Mick ?  If only you'd told us this years ago, I could have saved myself countless sleepless nights and a large fortune in non-fungible tokens to boot ...
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 11:38 PM »
Definitely on the list Mick.  Speaking of magic ingredients, just this past week I visited a local Asian supermarket, to track down Terasi shrimp paste to make my favorite fried rice dish, Nasi Goreng. As I wandered down the aisles filled with jars of stuff, many with no English on them at all (always a good sign), I noticed a bottle of rose water and told the missis I was sure I’d read that was used in Biryani, so picked up a bottle. Now need to find if I was right…
Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a little packet of powdered unicorn horn lurking somewhere in there.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 12:15 AM »
I've seen recipes for biryani and a few kormas with ridiculous ingredient lists. Rose water, petals, pandan leaf or juice, and gold or silver foil. The truth mick, is that most delicious curries are made using a few of less than a dozen common spices.  Then there are a few other things occasionally added for particular flavour.

As for "Balti", I'm yet to be convinced that it is actually a defined dish.  Frequently discussed, " What makes a balti a balti?"  There are several different notions but no correct answer.  It appears to me that a balti is, or could be any one or more of the following.

A dish using the balti spices.  What are they?
A dish prepared and served in a particular bowl. Any curry could be a balti.
A meat dish cooked with vegetables. Add capsicum and a piece of tomato to chicken curry = balti.
A dish served with and consumed using a naan,  sometimes huge and shared.
A dish only available in Birmingham UK. The champagne / bourbon argument.
Just a word attached to dishes for marketing or perhaps differentiation.

If I cook a dish using my home made balti paste I usually enjoy it, whether it is a balti or not.

I just did an instant pot version (adaption) of the kushi balti. Very nice.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Do you realise how many sleepless nights I spent trying to find out where I could source powdered unicorn horn, Mick ?  If only you'd told us this years ago, I could have saved myself countless sleepless nights and a large fortune in non-fungible tokens to boot ...
--
** Phil.
Sorry Phil I really wanted to tell everyone but was sworn to secrecy by a bloke in a Turban brandishing a Kirpan hahaha

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2022, 10:41 AM »
I've seen recipes for biryani and a few kormas with ridiculous ingredient lists. Rose water, petals, pandan leaf or juice, and gold or silver foil. The truth mick, is that most delicious curries are made using a few of less than a dozen common spices.  Then there are a few other things occasionally added for particular flavour.

As for "Balti", I'm yet to be convinced that it is actually a defined dish.  Frequently discussed, " What makes a balti a balti?"  There are several different notions but no correct answer.  It appears to me that a balti is, or could be any one or more of the following.

A dish using the balti spices.  What are they?
A dish prepared and served in a particular bowl. Any curry could be a balti.
A meat dish cooked with vegetables. Add capsicum and a piece of tomato to chicken curry = balti.
A dish served with and consumed using a naan,  sometimes huge and shared.
A dish only available in Birmingham UK. The champagne / bourbon argument.
Just a word attached to dishes for marketing or perhaps differentiation.

If I cook a dish using my home made balti paste I usually enjoy it, whether it is a balti or not.

I just did an instant pot version (adaption) of the kushi balti. Very nice.

Livo I have tried many many baltis over the years. It seems to be a fashionable name for some kind of mish mash curry. Many years ago in the mid 80s when baltis seem to suddenly become popular, I went in to a new t/a called "the Balti Hut" near to where I live. It was next door to an old established t/a I had used a few times before and was owned by the same family. I asked the guy in the Balti Hut why they dont sell Baltis next door and he told me that a balti is made from a different gravy compared to any other curry. My personal theory is that most t/a today cant be arsed making a different gravy because they probably dont sell enough baltis to warrant the different pot of gravy, so instead they try to rehash one using their usual gravy. I never went back to the balti hut again so it couldnt have been much good. Its still there today but checking the menu it appears to be the same generic menu you see at most Indians around this neck of the woods which I think is more to do with on-line ordering apps than anything else and the lack of decent chefs

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 12:21 PM »
Update - dont use the grammage for the spices  -  its way out. I stupidly didnt realise the different densities of spices

I need to experiment a little more as I  am still getting variable results.

I realise now I should have spent more time getting a more uniform balti before posting my claims

Sorry to mess you all around.

As soon as have it  nailed 100% I will post an  update

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 02:34 PM »
Mick, for spices why not just use level tsp / TBSP?  Takes all of the guesswork out.

Robbo

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 09:14 PM »
Mick from your list of ingredients on page one you haven't added the Kushi spice mix 1/4 onion finely chopped and also a garlic clove finely chopped and you missed out the 1/2 tomato finely chopped in the actual Balti dish, plus the base should be quite thickish, not too thick say something like cream.
Made this base and recipes from the book for some years now.
Hope this helps to achieve your goal.

©2024 Curry Recipes