Author Topic: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail - Birmingham Balti Quest Completed
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 10:57 AM »
Great Post!

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Mick from your list of ingredients on page one you haven't added the Kushi spice mix 1/4 onion finely chopped and also a garlic clove finely chopped and you missed out the 1/2 tomato finely chopped in the actual Balti dish, plus the base should be quite thickish, not too thick say something like cream.
Made this base and recipes from the book for some years now.
Hope this helps to achieve your goal.

Thanks UF. I have only the gravy recipe from the link at the start of this thread. Perhaps Ive overlooked it?
Fyi Im on MK5 version now. The resutant balti was ok - just a little bland so Im going to increase the powdered spices directly into the pot of gravy Ive made. I did that before in mk3 version and it worked a treat. Im also wondering if the powdered spices would be better off adding just prior to blending without any pre- boiling. To be honest I cant really understand the point of pre boiling the spices anyway. After all the gravy is going to be fried anyway releasing the flavours from the spices etc.
Im keeping a careful note this time of the weight of spices added.

Robbo - I know that sounds sad, but I think in the case of a subtly spiced dish like a balti, then measurements of spices needs to be as accurate as I can measure. Thats why (for now anyway) Im weighing the spices.  Im sure plenty will disagree with that comment as there are plenty of other variables ie freshness of the spices  etc which will impact the finished flavours of the dish.

Perhaps I should use a proper tsp measure thingy. Ive got one somewhere.....

It now seems obvious to me that my first attempt was a complete fluke. Oh how I wished Id kept a better record of what I actually did, but hey-ho thats the fun of making curries I guess!!

I do however have a couple of litres of my original "fluke gravy" in the freezer........

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Here we go mick
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1/4 medium onion finely chopped
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tomato chopped
1 1/2 tsp kushi spice mix
fresh coriander leaves
125ml base
add oil, garlic fry until light brown.
add onion, fry until golden brown.
remove from heat and add spice mix and mix well.
add chicken, cook 1 minute.
add base, mix well.
add tomatoes, cook 2 minutes.
garnish with coriander leaves.

i do use 1 tbsp oil, which is from cooking around 70-80 bhajis.
i use raw chicken so i do cook a little longer.
i also do use a little more than 125 ml base, depends on what dish i am cooking.
Hope this helps.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 10:04 PM »
MIght be worth cross-referencing the Kushi spice mix, UF — the URL is https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1547.msg13677#msg13677
--
** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 10:09 PM »
Already have recipe, not sure if mick had, but cheers for the link.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Thank you both for the info

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 11:06 AM »
This is Great!  Good luck finding that 100 % again mickdabass.  I went to Al Frash once or twice.  It was very good as I recall.  The Kushi could also turn out some spectacular balti.  My personal favourite was always Adil's.  It was quite different to the others, I felt.  Your work has got my cogs whirring again. Must get some ajwain seeds in; and dried rose petals :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2022, 09:06 PM »
This is Great!  Good luck finding that 100 % again mickdabass.  I went to Al Frash once or twice.  It was very good as I recall.  The Kushi could also turn out some spectacular balti.  My personal favourite was always Adil's.  It was quite different to the others, I felt.  Your work has got my cogs whirring again. Must get some ajwain seeds in; and dried rose petals :)

Bob:
Just to let you know I have finally cracked it. The recipe is in the Base Gravy section.
I couldnt find any rose petals but a pinch of ajwain seeds seeds in with the onions might be worth a try  :smiling eyes: :smiling eyes:
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=47533.0

Kind Regards

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes