Author Topic: Getting organized  (Read 701 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Getting organized
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:36 PM »
As the Instant Pot method is now my default until my grill arrives and I can cook outdoors with the old base gravy method, I have rearranged my spice daba to include all the spices needed for the variations on butter chicken that got me started on this simple method.
Clockwise from the top:
Ground ginger
Coriander
Chilli powder
Cumin
Smoked paprika
Cassia
Homemade garam masala
Turmeric

In the middle
Star anise
Green cardamoms
Black cardamoms
Cloves

I leave my Indian bay leaf out as I like them full size so they’re easy to remove. Also didn’t have enough containers anyway.

Nice to be organized.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Getting organized
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 11:38 AM »
I have a spice daba, given to me by a Kenyan Asian friend (Balu Madhvani — he tells me it is not called a daba at all !) but I have been reluctant to use it because I am not convinced that it will keep the spices as fresh as a screw-top jar.  In your opinion (and experience), how rapidly do spices lose their fragrance when stored in a daba ?
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Getting organized
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 02:37 PM »
Interesting about the name Phil.  Bound to be regional variances.  I got mine in Mumbai and they called it a ‘spice tin’.
As regards freshness, I’ve not seen an issue.  When I first got this one, I filled one of the containers with water and turned upside down. No leak, seemed air tight. A screw top will always be best but this set up is convenient and works for me.  My pantry is filled with a frankly ridiculous number of spices for the times I need those lesser used Pav Bhaji masala, chaat masala, byriani masala, tandoori masala, etc etc
Hmm, fancy making Pav Bhaji now….

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes