Author Topic: Finally - a BIRyani I am happy with  (Read 3495 times)

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Finally - a BIRyani I am happy with
« on: May 05, 2022, 01:58 AM »
I've been trying to crack BIRyani for a long time now. I have tried recipes posted here, as well as other places, as well as from books. None of them have satisfied me.

As I was making a fresh batch of garam masala, I had a look at Kris Dhillon's biryani recipe and thought I'd give it a go.

I chopped up half a red onion and let it slowly cook down to a jammy consistency while the pilau rice cooked. I heated up a batch of The Curry Guy's base gravy with some garam masala, salt, and a little cayenne pepper.

I chopped up half a rotisserie chicken breast and put the pieces on top of the jammy onions. Pilau rice on top. Heat off, lid up, let it all steam for a couple of minutes. Fold the chicken and onion through the rice, top with some fried raisins, serve and spoon a little of the gravy on top.

Oh yeah, that's what I was looking for. A nice BIRyani. What I was looking for!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Finally - a BIRyani I am happy with
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Sounds a very simply recipe, BHC, and many congratulations on your success, but I have one question, if I may ?  The "pieces of rotisserie chicken breast" — were they spiced in any way ?
--
** Phil.

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Finally - a BIRyani I am happy with
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:01 PM »
Hi Phil!

I don't know if it's the same outside the US, but Costco here do rotisserie chickens for $5. The chickens are brined but not spiced outside that.

Would using BIR pre-cooked chicken produce a more rounded flavour profile? Undoubtedly. But I made it with what I had to hand and it was *so* satisfying I will definitely be exploring that rabbit hole carefully for future BIRyani efforts  :smile2:

©2024 Curry Recipes