Author Topic: History of the forum  (Read 6787 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: History of the forum
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 12:31 AM »
Unattached is the pdf for The "Original" Onion Base Gravy as demonstrated in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6BEEhsVU4. The opening of the video expresses breach of copyright and I think the pages I have are from the 2nd eBook.  I must have bought it but I can't find it anywhere, not that I've really tried and I've changed hard drives a few times in a decade.

It is all shown in the video anyway. 
Pot #1. 3 litre pot filled with onions 2 - 3 cm from top. 300 ml water and 150 ml oil. Cook away until soft.
Pan #2. 1 TBSP oil, 2 TBSP G&G paste, 4 heap tsp Mix Powder.  Heat oil, add G&G 1 minute. Add Mix Powder 1 minute. Add some water from Pot #1.  Transfer to Pot #1.
Pot #1. 1 1/2 tsp salt, extra 350 ml water, 1 heap tsp Demarara sugar (or brown).  Cook 30 minutes. Cool and blend. Add another 2 litres of water.

This would appear to be a very basic and wet onion gravy.  I can't recall ever trying it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:58 AM by livo »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2022, 11:04 AM »

Infused make up liquid (spice water):
500mL cold water
3 Tej pata
6 green cardamoms
3 cloves
2 star anise
1 inch cassia

bring all to the boil and boil for about 15 minutes, add liquid only to body base

body base:
3 spanish or extra large onions
4 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
50mL oil
1 teaspoon salt
750mL cold water
2 heaped teaspoons mix powder

The body base prep is complicated and in pictorial form so not included here and you can see the whole recipe changed considerably from this (I believe) first iteration to the extent that it isn't even the same recipe by version MB3.

My personal opinion on the melting base is that it's nothing special, only being notable for being the first time a "melting base", by which was meant the apparent melting of the onions into the liquid, was presented.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2022, 11:24 AM »
How could anyone burn spices by boiling them in water? 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2022, 11:28 AM »
On the second page you can read the reasoning for using the marketed brand spices and assessment of using substitute East End or heaven forbid, Rajah.

I'm pretty sure that was just a ploy to make sure you bought their own curry powder. I note the spices website is no longer functional. The nearest I can find to what the curry powder might be is this one: https://www.heb.com/product-detail/supreme-mild-curry-powder/739295
Ingredients (for when the link inevitably dies): Coriander, Turmeric, Gram, Cumin, Fennel, Rice, Ginger, Pepper, Chilly, Fenugreek, Salt, Bay Leaf, Garlic, Mustard, Clove, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Curry Leaf.

Found the company that makes/imports this curry powder: https://www.supreme-ingredients.com/about-us/          with apparently zero information as to what it stocks or produces!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 01:19 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2022, 11:30 AM »
How could anyone burn spices by boiling them in water? 

Where was that claim made?

Edit: You mean this from MB3 ... developed to avoid the over cooking of the spiced water? I don't think they mean to burn it just that apparently it can be boiled for too long which, if so, seems dubious at best.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 11:50 AM by Secret Santa »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Unattached is the pdf for The "Original" Onion Base Gravy as demonstrated in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs6BEEhsVU4.

I don't think that is the melting base gravy livo. Different person, different base (I think?). This is the melting base talked about in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/user/karahikid
The original melting base is the one I've posted a few posts above with the "infused make up liquid"

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2022, 10:47 PM »
Yes Santa. Julian Voight's 'Original' Onion Base Gravy is different. I'd earlier mentioned I had prints of both and Robbo requested copy of both.

Yes again. Over cooked is what I meant. Not burnt. I still think it would be unlikely unless you were one of those people easily distracted.  Put something on the stove, then go outside gardening. Thinking about now, I know someone who could do that, but I love her anyway.   :love:

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2022, 01:05 AM »
Cheers Livo, I love a properly stained old paper printed recipe.  The good news is my concrete patio is now poured and set, my grill has arrived and it’s almost June and time to start cooking outdoors.  I have a couple of base gravy recipes to try, as a break from my instant pot fixation of late.  Summer in Chicago on the way.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 11:58 PM »
Looking at it suggests I must have made that base. I can't remember it so I'll do it again.  I have no idea why I pencilled 1.66 next to the onions. 

I've never really settled on a single preferred base gravy and I try nearly every different one I see.  At least this thread has generated some good stuff and inspired me to do a cook. I bought a couple of chickens yesterday.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2022, 02:54 AM »
At least this thread has generated some good stuff...

Yes indeed! Thanks to pap rika for stimulating the conversation  :like:

©2024 Curry Recipes