Author Topic: History of the forum  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: History of the forum
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2022, 08:53 AM »
No, uk.fd.i was not a site per se, it was a Usenet Newsgroup.  The immediate predecessor to this site was CR0.Co.Uk, which is how I still think of it.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:12 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2022, 11:41 AM »
No, uk.fd.i was not a site per se, it was a Usenet Newsgroup.  The immediate predecessor to this site was CR0.Co.Uk, which is how I still think of it.
--
** Phil.

I’m with you on still feeling the cr0 site, I still think it’s a different forum when I log in sometimes. I still refer to it sometimes and it would be extremely sad if it was to disappear. I do miss cory Anders input, shame it went that way.
Since my kids were about 6 yrs old(13 years ago now) the go-to meal for them is chicken korma taken from this site, although as us curry heads do I always cook 2 or 3 different recipes and they are always hits
Glad to see my curry puff recipe is still going strong, best snack on the planet and been in my family for over 50 years now
Madmatt

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2022, 01:09 PM »
Was that the site before this one, i can remember it but cant seem to remember any recipes or members from there, did most of them come to this site.

It was a newsgroup rather than a website and a lot of recipes got posted there. Whilst there was the quest for a BIR, and it was called BIR on the group so I think I’m pretty sure the acronym predated this date, there was also a lot more on traditional recipes.
A lady called Jones, I forget her handle on the group collated some of the recipes here

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/faq.html

But aside from myself I don’t  know of anyone else who joined this website.
You can find some more info here
https://uk.food-drink.indian.narkive.com/

But beware, the latter days of the group it was full of spam and other rubbish with barely a post about curry.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 10:29 PM »
Which korma recipe do you cook madmatt?

Tempest63, I've already gone into the wormhole of the links you provide. Thanks, but oh dear! Another big adventure coming along.  Some links to sites are dead, obviously, but I've already found some interesting stuff, ie The Big Boys Curry Book, that isn't a book.  I like the look of the curry powder and curry sauce for starters.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 10:34 PM »
I remember it now, just checked and got the chasni recipe, and many more from there. Think i started cooking BIR from this newsgroup and the rest is 70 plus customers and still cook around anything from 20-100 curries a week, owe a lot to some of the people on there.
Have to add i still make your curry puff thing madmatt, a wonderful tasting snack.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2022, 07:38 PM »
Which korma recipe do you cook madmatt?

I do it from memory now, but looking at the forum recipes it must have been CA’s korma. The only difference is I whack in a couple of tbsp of desiccated coconut and half a tsp chilli powder. Kids absolutely love it.

@unclefrank so glad the curry puffs are still hitting the spot!!

Cheers

Matt

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2022, 09:17 PM »
Had a look at it and it gets good feedback from those who've cooked it.  I wouldn't be using dessicated coconut if i try it as I don't like the texture in curry.  Looks similar to other BIR Korma and I prefer Shahi Korma made with Hotel style white gravy.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Whilst there was the quest for a BIR, and it was called BIR on the group so I think I’m pretty sure the acronym predated this date

Hmmm ... it may just be my memory failing but I was on uk.food-drink.indian for many years prior to joining cro.co.uk and I don't recall BIR as an acronym being mentioned as such. First time I saw it was here on this forum (I think!).

A lady called Jones, I forget her handle on the group collated some of the recipes here

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/faq.html

Elaine Jones if memory serves.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2022, 08:54 PM »
Whilst there was the quest for a BIR, and it was called BIR on the group so I think I’m pretty sure the acronym predated this date

Hmmm ... it may just be my memory failing but I was on uk.food-drink.indian for many years prior to joining cro.co.uk and I don't recall BIR as an acronym being mentioned as such. First time I saw it was here on this forum (I think!).

Two instances that I can find :

--
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2022, 03:28 PM »
Two instances that I can find :

I was prepared to stand corrected ... and corrected I stand!

Although I doubt its use was as widespread as it became once this forum started to use it.

By the way, how do you search the archive?

©2024 Curry Recipes