Author Topic: Inflation costs and effects longterm  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Inflation costs and effects longterm
« on: June 16, 2022, 01:49 AM »
Is the cost of Cooking Oil threatening BIR?

Is the cost of Cooking Oil a bad thing?

I had a much longer statement/questions prepared but I think that was my soapbox: here, stand on yours and express your concerns, expectations, desires please.

BAJ
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:08 PM by Bob-A-Job »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Inflation costs and effects longterm
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 08:06 AM »
The price of cooking oil has doubled in the UK since the start of the Russian war on Ukraine.  Even if it rose by a factor of 1000% percent, the hardships that we might experience would pale into complete insignificance compared to those experienced by the people of Ukraine.  We should therefore stop thinking of ourselves and the minor inconveniences that we are experiencing, think instead of the Ukrainians and the horrors being inflicted on them, and do everything in our power to bring this invasion to an end.

And don't even get me started on Priti Patel and her "We won't stand idly by while evil gangs put lives at risk" — she no more cares about "evil gangs" than she cares about the horrors of being deported to Rwanda — all she cares about is ensuring that as few migrants as possible end up in the UK, no matter how evil the régime from which they are fleeing or the horrors which they have already experienced.  As the German ambassador said yesterday, Germany takes more refugees in a month than the United Kingdom does in a year.

With the present Government's stated intent to renegue on the Northern Ireland Protocol, with its further intent to deport genuine refugees to Rwanda, with Conservative MPs calling for the UK to withdraw from the ECHR, and with the total failure to take any responsibility for the goings-on at Partygate, I am increasingly ashamed to be British, an emotion that would have been unthinkable for me 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:23 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:07 PM »
The price of cooking oil has doubled in the UK...

I wasn't intending this to be a 'soapbox' for all the gripes in the world, that is what I believe Friday's with a mate in the pub were made for  :wink: but since I opened the conversation without stating that, then I guess the post needs moving to 'Let's talk about anything OTHER than curry'?

I was interested in the cost of cooking oil because whilst I don't use a great deal, takeaways by their very nature do and so the costs to them might become prohibitive.  Now that again is not necessarily a bad thing, in my humble opinion, as the best should survive and those that are just cheap hopefully won't.  With all the discussions about Obesity in all age groups and to be honest, as we get older, we tend to become less active and can more easily pile on a few lbs(kg), reducing the number (I believe Bradford has the 2nd highest number after Birmingham  :omg:) should be no bad thing and I would like to see a lot less of them AND the waste that gets dumped in the streets right outside them!

I guess Fish and Chips is on it's last legs with the cost of fuel rising as well... :mute:

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 09:20 PM »
My baseline for oil was £1 a litre for basic rapeseed oil. Currently the cheapest is about £1.40 a litre but I can't see that lasting long. I actually spent half a day trudging around the various pound shops and supermarkets on Monday and the shelves of most were bare of basic oils. Sunflower oil was the most absent because of the Ukraine situation. Plenty of what I would call fancy oils though.

Curry houses will still find oil but they'll just hike the price to match what they can get it for.

And fish and chips were rising in price well before the oil situation. Locally a small portion of cod and chips is £7. I'm probably just out of touch but that seems really high to me.

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 10:12 AM »
 I knew this was coming so I stocked up on oil a few months back.  So if there's no oil on the shelves it's probably down to me. Farmfoods seems to be the cheapest. I bake my own bread so I stocked up with flour, too.

And things are only going to get worse if governments are hell bent on reducing the use of fertilisers for the production of crops. Crazy. Anyway if cooking oil gets too expensive I'll start using Shell V Power, or perhaps red diesel if I can get my hands on it. Then as a last resort used engine oil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 01:01 PM »
f cooking oil gets too expensive I'll start using Shell V Power, or perhaps red diesel if I can get my hands on it. Then as a last resort used engine oil.
See you at your funeral, Steve (interment, not cremation — your corpse would set the whole place on fire) — it was good knowing you !
--
** Phil.

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 01:52 PM »
Nice one Phil. I'm definitely going route one though i.e.... dead, cold storage for a couple of days then re-heat oven gas mark 1500 deg's. And if the place burns down, well, that ain't going to worry me. Suppose they could claim I'd poured fuel on the fire though.

steve.

©2024 Curry Recipes