Author Topic: ++++MDB’s Birmingham Balti Gravy 100% Clone Al Frash Balti Restaurant ++++  (Read 27366 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
It appears to me that they are all Baltis but you can either get the bog standard or the other "named dishes" with the additional ingredients.  That's the way I read the menu anyhow.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Thinking about making my next balti base I'm getting a bit confuddled with the options. Should I now make the original recipe MDB base or the rehashed, easier version? Or should I make the other balti base, which I've now completely forgotten where it is or what it's called?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
It appears to me that they are all Baltis but you can either get the bog standard or the other "named dishes" with the additional ingredients.  That's the way I read the menu anyhow.

But are the creamy dishes also baltis? If so it must only be by virtue of using the balti base. Do these balti houses run two different base sauces, a balti one and a standard BIR one?

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile

Yes.  You could go for a regular balti (e.g. Balti chicken) or one with additions (e.g. Balti Chicken Rogan Josh). 

With Micks base and recipe, as it stands, you will get the Balti chicken on the menu.  However, with the 2 tsp chilli powder option, you are now close to the "Feeling adventurous?", spicier, hotter offerings; Madras.  I think.

Rob       

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
It looks to me as though any of the named dishes, eg Rogan Josh or Passanda, are each available with any selection from the balti range listed below and repeated in each section.  Everything is a balti. Korma, Makhani, Passanda, Rogan Josh, Jal Fraizie, Dopiaza, Bhoona, Dhansak and Pathia are all available in any of the 9 balti options.

Then you have the option to adjust heat.  So you could for example order the Balti Tropical Passanda Madras or a Balti Lamb Mince Rogan Josh Vindaloo etc. 

Heck, even the tandoor is balti tandoor.  I guess you sit at the balti table on a balti chair, order from the balti menu, to be served by the balti waiter and pay with your visa card.

At the risk of coming across as simple, what is Balti Meat? 

Balti Meat    7.60

Is this the stuff that Phil talks about being possibly lamb, but probably beef, or is it bush meat of indeterminate origins?  Badger or hedgehog maybe.  What sort of wild animals do you still have over there.  I've got a baby bunny living next to my house at the moment, although not many survive myxomatosis or calicivirus for very long these days.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 08:41 AM by livo »

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Yes, spoilt for choice.  I will be using the MDB base this weekend to make a Balti Chicken Tikka Jal-fraizie. 

Rob

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Just to repeat what I said somewhere else on the forum that after extensive taste tests of probably 10 or more batches, I do find that this original version of my gravy gives better results than the simplified MK11 version

Regards

Mick

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Oops, wrong thread, now moved to MDBv2 thread

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
This was batch number 9 of MK1 Mick and a couple of baltis.

Pre-blend

Balti Chicken (10/10)

Balti Chicken Tikka Masala (10/10)

However, more recently, batch 10 (MK1) went wrong for me.  My mistake/botch.  Got myself a new pressure cooker with a view to saving on the gas.  Cooked the veg with it; came out looking like it had been stewed for 3-4 hours.  No burning so I carried on with the batch, everything else to spec. No sparkle, lushness almost gone.  Base not exactly bland, but miles off how it should be. 

Batch 11 coming soon, with to spec 1 hr veg boil.

Rob :)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Update on my last batch (10) botch.  Conclude the base went wrong in spectacular fashion.  A dud. Not fit for purpose.  No chance of making an authentic balti with it.  I taste test blended/pre-dilution.  Also tried this batch after letting it down.  It was/is sort of bland, pretty similar to typical BIR bases. It crossed my mind to bin it.  Instead made a few curries, with a fair few additions.  Not bad, but nothing to write home about. A bit like the Chicken Madras I ordered last from my local TA.  I still have some of the base left.  Reckon a Chicken Phal will be next.

Now sure this went wrong at the Akhni stock stage. Blaming the pressure cooker was nonsense.  Thinking back, the cassia bark for this batch was from a newly opened bag and more fragrant than usual (when making the stock).  But I think some of the other whole spices (except the cloves) have deteriorated.  Time flies by.  I have neglected these.  Can't pin down the exact ones, but the star anise and green cardos (the most expensive spices) are suspect.  It's this or I have reduced the stock too much and lost the flavours here. The amount of reduction is a concern, although all the previous batches have all been fine, so I'll carry on as usual, but with all the spices new.

I will have a new batch made next week.  Wish me luck!  Need to get back on 10/10.  The Holy Grail.  Have I mentioned the truly immense depth of flavour before, which should be blindingly obvious with this recipe?   We are talking orders of magnitude here, several, better than the best.  Toodle pip. 

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes