Author Topic: ++++MDB’s Birmingham Balti Gravy 100% Clone Al Frash Balti Restaurant ++++  (Read 27271 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Actually Ive just googled it and some places do a mixed balti.

Its not something I have tried

What? I thought you were a balti connoisseur. It's well known that with balti anything goes, quite literally, as you can (or at least could), mix and match to your heart's content. And that's coming from someone who's never had a real balti despite my Brummie origins. So if I know this how come you don't?

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Lol very funny SS

I have neither the time or the crayons to bother trying to argue with you

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lol very funny SS

I have neither the time or the crayons to bother trying to argue with you

It was a serious question, but, whatever.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Made a batch of base yesterday.  Balti chicken ultra-dry last night.   Fresh chicken.  Addition,  1/2 tsp salt.  Taste-tested and popped in the fridge.  Ultra-lush!  Photo taken this morning.  Will warm it up tonight and serve with boiled rice.

Rob

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
It’s the gift that keeps on giving….
I love seeing pics of curry first thing Sunday morning..

Robbo

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Balti lamb and mushroom.

Rob  :smile:

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Arrived yesterday.  10 ml.  Was curious to see if the aroma is similar to the Cassia bark component of Mick's Ackni stock.  Identical.  Very pungent and sense swamping.  Now thinking the stocks I have been making with 60-100 g cassia bark are actually loaded with cassia oil, which is rather interesting.  Will report back after playing around with it. 

Rob

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Wow - thats a great find Rob!

I didnt know that Cassia contains essential oils but logically this must be the answer to all of the inconsistencies with cassia bark

Looking forward with Baited Breath to reading your report!

I bet that stuff isnt cheap....

Kind Regards

Mick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
£4.20 for 10 ml, or was at the time this listing appeared.  The one that KB depicted is not food grade (which would not stop me consuming it, but a word to the wise ...).

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Wow - thats a great find Rob!

I didnt know that Cassia contains essential oils but logically this must be the answer to all of the inconsistencies with cassia bark

Looking forward with Baited Breath to reading your report!

I bet that stuff isnt cheap.... :smiling eyes:

Kind Regards

Mick

I think you are right Mick.  Reckon it'll work both ways.  So, it seems possible I have seriously underestimated the potency of my recent cassia bark purchases (and probably some earlier). An idea is that the cassia may cancel out, or mute, some/all of the other whole spices.  I will be making another batch of MK I gravy next week to check this.  This time with less cassia.

In the meantime I have made a Balti pork and mushroom (vindaloo) for tonight, in readiness for next week's adventures.  This will definitely clear the tubes :) :smiling eyes:

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes