Author Topic: "Chinese cinnamon" / cassia — relevant only to those interested in linguistics  (Read 847 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Do not assume that if your quills are round rolls, like cinnamon quills, they are cinnamon, ie; True or Ceylon Cinnamon.  Here is a photo of a bag of "Cassia Vera 3" I saw in Sri Laksmi Groceries at Wentworthville on Thursday and a link to what Herbies has to say about Cassia Vera.  The 3 refers to the length of the quills being 3" long I believe.  They are not the semi-circular outer bark as expected with Cassia Bark.

https://www.herbies.com.au/shop/herbs-and-spices/spices/cassia-bark-whole-20g/

I was able to buy some "Cassia Bark" which was actually again labelled as Cinnamon Sticks.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Do not assume that if your quills are round rolls, like cinnamon quills, they are cinnamon, ie; True or Ceylon Cinnamon. 

Agreed.  As far as I am concerned, the most obvious characteristic that one should look for when attempting to purchase true cinnamon is the delicacy of the bark that constitutes the quill — true cinnamon will have very delicate bark, almost like parchment; cassia will have coarse bark, 1/16" thick or more.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes