Author Topic: Sunny Sydney, sunnier elsewhere  (Read 976 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Sunny Sydney, sunnier elsewhere
« on: July 05, 2022, 02:03 AM »
BBC reporting on Sydney weather for last 4 days.  The thing is it hasn't stopped yet as of Tuesday and we've just been told there is yet another East Coast Low developing for this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:24 PM by Onions »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sunny Sydney
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 05:25 AM »
I hope you and yours are safe.

I mentioned this a long while back but people did not want to listen then and I am sure many are still saying they 'can not afford to do anything about it' now... personally I don't think they need to worry, there is nothing they CAN do now, I believe we are passed the tipping point.  It might sound doom monger-ish but how do you stop and Remove the last 200 years worth of climate changes? All you can do is limit any additional effects but that won't happen soon enough to, imho, stop the runaway effect already happening.

As in all things, Prepare for the Worst, Hope for the Best.

Those in power all over the world now, will not see and feel the effects their decisions are making. The generations to come will need to adapt.

On the upside, we are still in the 5th Ice Age.. just the Interglacial part, where Ice melts, Sea levels rise and Rainfall increases.. it has happened before and will happen again before the end of the life of our Sun and this planet.  We may have hastenend it and we may have over populated the best 'at the time' land areas near the seas.. but as a race, humans I am sure can survive this, even if there are fewer of us than now.. we must remember what comes next though and plan for that.

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 12:47 PM »
I'm OK Bob but there are 10s of thousands from thousands of homes who have been completely flooded 3 and 4 times in as many months. They can't get insurance any more and they can't sell up.  Line the walls with plastic and tile the floors so it's easier to clean next time. The 1 in 100 year flood definition is out of date.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 12:29 PM »
Hardcore, Livo. All the best to you and yours. Frombushfires to torrential flooding... as BaJ says above, these are certainly strange times for weather, something future generations are likely to have to pay for rather than us.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 02:37 PM »
livo, the government you lot just kicked out of office did everything in its power to deny anthropogenic climate change in its butt-licking adulation of industrial conglomerates. What goes around comes around  :wink:

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Very Sunny UK
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 05:19 AM »
The UK max. Temp ever recorded, 38.7c

First ever UK Heat warning, Temperatures of 40c+

2 weeks ago, a weather forecaster was poo-pooing a UK met. forecast by 1 of the 7 supercomputers saying that the temperature might reach 40c... the rest predicted a max of 37c.
Now it is 70% lilkely that we will hit 40c and 50% that we will exceed it...

Are you scared yet?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sunny Sydney, sunnier elsewhere
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 11:58 PM »
Our latest long range forecast is for the rain to continue. La Nina has backed off for now, but the Indian Ocean dipole (other weather driver for us) is likely to cause continued rain for the remainder of winter and right through spring. It is then predicted that la Nina will return for yet another wet summer. This will be 3 years in a row of regular major rain events and floods.  Unprecedented in my 62 years.

The other big concern for us at the moment is agricultural bio-security. Foot and mouth disease is bad in Indonesia, including Bali, which is right on our doorstep. An outbreak here will cause real problems for livestock and food supply with meat and dairy products being a big worry.

©2024 Curry Recipes