Author Topic: Balti Lamb and Mushroom Madras  (Read 532 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Balti Lamb and Mushroom Madras
« on: July 13, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Ingredients.  Base gravy (not much left) and Pre-cooked Lamb.  A few closed-cup white mushroom and a pinch of salt.

Rob

Link to Mick's Birmingham Balti recipes:

www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=47533.0     

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Lamb and Mushroom Madras
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 05:52 PM »
Aren't you committing the cardinal sin of balti making here?

That is, cooking it in one pan and then dumping it into a balti pan for serving. Part of the balti experience is the caramelisation that is left on the side of the balti pan when the curry is cooked in it. Even I know that and I've never had one!  :wink:

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46 AM »
Aren't you committing the cardinal sin of balti making here?

That is, cooking it in one pan and then dumping it into a balti pan for serving. Part of the balti experience is the caramelisation that is left on the side of the balti pan when the curry is cooked in it. Even I know that and I've never had one!  :wink:

Yes, sch! don't tell anyone.  If I opened a Balti House I would call it the Slop & Stir.  My magic frying pan would be on sale too.  It's engraved on the bottom, "Quality Guaranteed".

So, in between photos here I use a vented lid.  Things can get cooked down pretty hard and fast, although I rarely rush.  Much like the way I tried to recreate the old skool BIR Madras years ago.  I don't know if it's obvious from the recent  efforts but there is maximum oil separation, a proper puddle.   I like it this way.  Get the best results and less mess.  I could spoon it out to make it look more appetising, perhaps, but then I would have to put it back in again. 

As far as the "authentic" Balti high flame cooking goes I really don't feel it's essential; based on the results I am getting with Mick's recipe.  Who know's though?  Maybe.  I recall Jerry (JerryM) was an advocate.  I thing he said he got the smokey taste using it. It doesn't seem practical on a commercial scale though, to me.  I may be wrong; I often am.  Give it a try.

Making a Balti Lamb Saag for you tonight Santa :)

Rob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 10:03 AM »
Making a Balti Lamb Saag for you tonight Santa :)

I'll be disappointed if I don't see scorch marks and caramelisation on the karahi.

©2024 Curry Recipes