Author Topic: Balti King Prawn and Mushroom  (Read 557 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Balti King Prawn and Mushroom
« on: July 17, 2022, 11:17 AM »
Had enough base gravy for one more.

No fresh tomato so used tinned.

Another balti masterpiece.  Better-than-sex!

Rob  :like:

Link to Mick's Birmingham Balti recipes:

www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=47533.0

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti King Prawn and Mushroom
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 12:21 PM »
Better-than-sex!

Now I know you've been on the happy stuff.  Imagine me trying to tell Mrs L that I'd  rather have a Balti.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti King Prawn and Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 09:39 PM »
I've bought 1/2 kg of green King prawns and cooked a new batch of mdb's gravy, but I've also just watched chef faz' video on King Prawn Balti.  His gravy may be different, however with 300ml of it he also uses garlic and ginger, onion and capsicum, 2 TBSP tomato puree, 2 tsp mixed powder, 1.5 tsp balti paste, salt, fresh tomato slices and coriander.  A whole lot of flavour there for only 2 large prawns.

So, I'm about to watch his base gravy prep again to see just how different it is and then I'll decide how I'm going to cook my prawn balti.

Addition:  Now I remember cooking the Faz base.  It also has a garlic in oil hit added at the end but it is done differently.  Quick, hot fry and dumped in.  He does not use akhni stock but his is a fairly well spiced affair, although he does say "it should be a bit bland and slightly salty to taste".

I'm afraid I'm still struggling with just the base and no other flavouring, and there is no way I'd want to cook a prawn dish as hard as I cooked the chicken the other night.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:48 PM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes