Author Topic: Balti  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Balti
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 09:33 AM »
3) Has to be cooked in a Birmingham Balti Co. Balti pan and served in it as well.

The Birmingham Balti Bowl Co. Ltd. was incorporated on 28-Apr-2021 — how, then, were authentic Birmingham baltis cooked prior to the date ?
--
** Phil.

I recall the previous suggestion (Andy Munro) for a bowl was Uncle's Home Store, Birmingham.  I was there (Ladypool Road) yesterday; first time in years.  I couldn't find the shop.  They may have closed down. 

Advanced notice.  I will be reviewing my supper last night.  Shababs Balti Chicken.  What you will see is not for the faint-hearted.

Rob :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 08:16 PM »
It's really easy to fall down the balti rabbit hole but when you think the addition of any variety of "balti" paste makes a proper balti you've fallen a bit too far.

I understand that Santa, and the dishes I have recently prepared all had more in common with "authentic" balti than most recipes i found.  Balti gravy, fresh ingredients, raw chicken, etc etc. These weren't a case of simply adding paste.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 08:25 PM »

I recall the previous suggestion (Andy Munro) for a bowl was Uncle's Home Store, Birmingham.  I was there (Ladypool Road) yesterday; first time in years.  I couldn't find the shop.  They may have closed down. 

Advanced notice.  I will be reviewing my supper last night.  Shababs Balti Chicken.  What you will see is not for the faint-hearted.

Rob :)

I recall reading about that, re where to get balti pans, a while back. I can't think where though.  I'm keen to see your review of the Shababs Balti Chicken.  I am about to do it to spec according to the MR instruction today. I'm out of mdb's gravy now.  2 half batches in a couple of weeks is the most curry I've cooked in a while and I've really enjoyed it.

Edit: I'm going to wait on your review Rob, before I go ahead and make it.  I will however try the Rishton / Shababs Real Balti (ie: not base gravy) method today.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 01:01 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 08:39 PM »
Correction

So I searched for Balti in Sydney and the top link was to a restaurant called The Colonial something which claims to serve British curry. A report on Trip Advisor claimed the Balti was the best this side of Birmingham. Promising. Checked the menu. No Balti.  Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing a balti on a menu out here.

The Colonial British Indian Cuisine of Darlinghurst and Neutral Bay does prepare a Balti. I found it in the Chef's Special section of the menu.

Beef Balti
Diced beef pieces cooked in a balti pan with spring onions, fenugreek leaves, fresh coriander and mint.

I might have to jump on a train with Mrs L for a meal in the city.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2022, 11:51 PM »
The more research I do the more I find that people will call absolutely anything a balti.  I have also come across some information that points to the possibility that base gravy is not a part of balti preparation or cooking. 

Balti chef conference.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eyx_DhepDg

I have found this recipe for balti apparently by the same Shababs chef (Zaf Hussain) where it is almost exactly * as demonstrated by the other chef Hussain Rashid (Rishton).  No base gravy.
https://curryculture.co.uk/balti-recipe/

So this begs the question, does authentic brum balti use base gravy at all?  It appears to be a stir fry of basic fresh ingredients. Onion, garlic, ginger, tomato and spice with whatever meat and or vegetable you wish.

* Almost Exactly:  The list of ingredients is the same with the exception that Shababs adds Cumin, Rishton does not.  Shababs uses Paprika where Rishton uses Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder. I have found that in Indian food they are the same thing (interchangeable) and paprika is not sweet paprika with no heat or Hungarian or smoked.  Indian paprika has heat.  Terminology for quantities varies from one to the other. Cooking method is the same.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:17 AM by livo »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 11:15 AM »

:lol:

The more research I do the more I find that people will call absolutely anything a balti.  I have also come across some information that points to the possibility that base gravy is not a part of balti preparation or cooking. 

I saw this and instantly dismissed it. We know from several videos that Shababs uses a base sauce. And I doubt a balti was ever made without the use of a base sauce anywhere. The "everything has to be fresh" is part of the balti myth.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2022, 11:55 AM »
Glad you liked it Santa and it rings true doesn't it? I believe the urban myth has overtaken reality. 

However, I disagree with your second comment.  I've just done it. Two brum baltis from fresh ingredients as per the instructions. Prawn and chicken balti.  I suppose you could add jalfrezi as I put extra capsicum in. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Firstly, they were very nice.
Secondly, they are not your usual restaurant curry.
Thirdly, they are not too different to cooking mdbs balti base gravy and related balti dish. *qualifier below.
Fourth, I added too much (Indian) paprika.  Cleared Mrs L's sinuses though. I liked it but others wouldn't.
Fifth, if that's a balti, meh!!  What's all the fuss about?

Qualifier. Mick, you don't need all that Cassia bark. A 1/2 tsp of decent garam masala does the job.

I would go so far as to say, if you want a balti, cook it fresh. It's a lot less hassle and mess than the whole balti base gravy thing.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2022, 12:31 PM »
However, I disagree with your second comment.  I've just done it. Two brum baltis from fresh ingredients as per the instructions.

No, no, no. I'm talking about actual BIR/balti restaurants and takeaways. Of course you can as an individual make a curry from scratch but can you show me real evidence that a balti house would do it this way? Look at all the refrences you have like the kushi balti book and the birmingham balti book (or something like that), and the numerous Shababs videos and others on YouTube. They all use a base sauce.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 09:21 PM »
Ah, I see what you mean and certainly the recent Shababs video showing a 50 kg onion prep would indicate that base gravy is used.  Surprisingly, cooking 2 curries from fresh ingredients in a steel wok was pretty quick though.

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 02:12 PM »
I think Jamie Oliver adds citric acid in his recipe. Why?

Because he's a clueless chav, that's why.

Sorry, but I can't let this stand. Calling Jamie Oliver a clueless chav is horribly insulting.

... to chavs  :Clown: :lol:

©2024 Curry Recipes