Author Topic: Balti  (Read 12181 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Hey George, it's great to know you've sampled the real thing, not once, but twice!
What would be even greater would be if you'd make Mick's version and give some qualified feedback.

I will try to get around to it at some time. At present, my priority is to be in a position to move my solar panels for winter. I have now gone almost 6 months without using any mains electricity. If I can keep it up for 12 months, they will refund the standing charge and not charge me any more, for as long as I can make do without. No way will I be forking out the astronomic figures forecast for energy bills from Spring 2023, like £5K.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2022, 11:56 PM »
I would also recommend more people try Mick’s recipe and give some feedback. Balti or not, the results for me so far have been great curries and that’s what we’re here for, right?
On a NEC related note, I also used to go there for exhibitions when I lived in the UK. I used to stay in a little hotel in Sutton Coldfield. There was an Indian restaurant just around the corner.
Still there too!  Funny how you remember some things.  Must be 25 years since I visited that restaurant.

https://www.bashundora.com/

I remember fondly picking up a bottle of red from a nearby offy, a nice vindaloo and keema pilau and just relaxing in my hotel room alone, watching Newcastle United get trounced in some match.
Happy days.

Robbo

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 01:30 PM »
At present, my priority is to be in a position to move my solar panels for winter.

Careful now. You don't want to go the way of Rod Hull.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2022, 10:42 PM »
At present, my priority is to be in a position to move my solar panels for winter.

Careful now. You don't want to go the way of Rod Hull.

I just read that Rod Hull died after falling off the roof of his home while adjusting a TV aerial. No, my solar panels are not on the roof. But I do sometimes walk/crawl around the roof and I always keep hold of a safety rope.

Back to Balti ... I was going to try Misty Ricardo's recipe first but does anyone think Mick's recipe is better? Even if it is better, perhaps Misty's recipe stands a better chance of being like the balti at Shababs.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2022, 12:08 AM »
George, I would suggest that before you make either base gravy, you at least once try the Balti cooked from scratch using basic fresh ingredients. The recipes and method shown by Shababs and Rishton chefs are all but identical and I found it to be very quick, easy and affordable as well as producing a nice dish.  You might instantly recognise it as the Shababs Balti you've already tried.

If you then feel inclined to make the base gravies, be aware that they are quite different.  Misty Ricardo's  gravy is well spiced while Mick's is the opposite.  Misty Ricardo's Chicken Balti (using gravy) is similar to the fresh ingredient dish but more spiced.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2022, 12:10 AM »
Back to Balti ... I was going to try Misty Ricardo's recipe first but does anyone think Mick's recipe is better? Even if it is better, perhaps Misty's recipe stands a better chance of being like the balti at Shababs.

I have been using MR's pre-cook method for Chicken and a Beef variation with Welshknuckles recipe for Base Gravy for a long time.  I have really enjoyed the resulting Balti, more than my local takeaways back then (not had one from a takeaway for a few years and unfortunately cannot compare it a Birmingham).

I still have some Base left and whilst Curry is always delicious, we have not been eating many hot meals in this house for the last 2-3 months (George would nod in appreciation I think), except for the occasional Chicken Burrito, which I made a while ago in the slow cooker, portioned, froze and reheat in the microwave, assembling with fresh vegetables.

I will get around to trying MDB Balti.. but not yet.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2022, 01:34 AM »
Bob, I remember trying that Belting Balti Base Gravy and Balti Chicken 7 years ago (https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=13824.0) but I don't recall it being similar to the dishes I've prepared recently.  I could be mistaken of course.  Looking at the ingredient list though, there are more similarities than differences.

The topic of grinding the whole spices up in the gravy is discussed.  In my recent cook of Misty Ricardo's version of Shababs gravy I did grind them, but I sieved it as it was just really gritty.  The flavour of the Black Cardamom is prevalent. I think next time I'll remove all whole spices and I believe it will benefit from this.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2022, 01:57 AM »
I think next time I'll remove all whole spices and I believe it will benefit from this.

That part is always confusing to me.. often omitted from any descriptive method, as if it is obvious.  I remove large items, such as bay leaf when I think it has 'done it's bit' and Cassia before I think it will overpower any other spices.  That in itself is why I am 'resistant' to making MDB's.. grinding up 55g of bark (no mention of removing it)... I would want to 'cook' it for a lot longer than just 1 hour before I risk putting it in a blender???  Maybe I have missed a trick/step about removing it?

BAJ

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2022, 02:26 AM »
The whole spices are all removed in Mick's gravy.  They are boiled to make a separate Akhni stock which is strained before adding to the onion mix.

There are a few other recipes that call for blending with whole spices.  I remember one which had Star Anise, Cassia, Cardamom etc. I can't recall which one but it was one of the Covid-19 releases by a chef showing how to cook BIR at home.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2022, 02:33 PM »
George, I would suggest that before you make either base gravy, you at least once try the Balti cooked from scratch using basic fresh ingredients. The recipes and method shown by Shababs and Rishton chefs are all but identical and I found it to be very quick, easy and affordable as well as producing a nice dish.  You might instantly recognise it as the Shababs Balti you've already tried.

Many thanks. Where can I find the recipe for 'Balti cooked from scratch'? Whose recipe is it?

©2024 Curry Recipes