Author Topic: Balti Chilli Garlic Chicken vs Balti Chicken Jalfrezi  (Read 547 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Balti Chilli Garlic Chicken

Mick's base and basic balti recipe, with the addition of four cloves of garlic
(really thin sliced), three (spiky) thin green chillies, and 1/2 tsp regular chilli powder.

Great, but it's too hot!  Vindaloo heat, at least.

Balti Chicken Jalfrezi

The same start. No additions this time ( One fresh chilli added). Jalrezi onions/peppers, as per the norm.

Epic Birmingham Balti. 11/10

For me now, it's just about improving the presentation/aesthetics.  The oil in the finished dish needs to red, proper.  I have been using chopped fresh tomatoes so far.  I think Mick has used tinned.  Also want charring on the Jalfrezi additions.  Straight forward BIR cooking.  It's job done. Thanks Mick. Enjoy everyone!

Rob :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Chilli Garlic Chicken vs Balti Chicken Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 07:49 PM »
The oil in the finished dish needs to red, proper.

Well, since the poster is not Livo, this is presumably not an Australianism, but I am nonetheless absolutely no wiser as to what it might mean — could you possibly translate please, BB ?
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 10:51 PM »
He left the "be" out. The oil needs to be red, and I assume it means it's a proper balti.

They look like nicely presented dishes already Rob.

Did you stir the Garlic Chilli Chicken Balti with a plastic bowl scraper like The Curry Kid as shown in his video?  The video can be found using the link on The Birmingham Balti site.  Nothing like high heat, steel pan and plastic utensils for that authentic brum balti flavour. :smiling eyes: 

But jokes aside Rob, they must be hot little green chillis if you found only 1/2 tsp of powder too hot.  There's virtually none in the gravy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 12:09 AM by livo »

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 11:00 AM »
He left the "be" out. The oil needs to be red, and I assume it means it's a proper balti.

They look like nicely presented dishes already Rob.

Did you stir the Garlic Chilli Chicken Balti with a plastic bowl scraper like The Curry Kid as shown in his video?  The video can be found using the link on The Birmingham Balti site.  Nothing like high heat, steel pan and plastic utensils for that authentic brum balti flavour. :smiling eyes: 

But jokes aside Rob, they must be hot little green chillis if you found only 1/2 tsp of powder too hot.  There's virtually none in the gravy.

Good quality chillies Livo, from my freezer stash.  Reserved for extra special dishes.  Hereabouts food quality is, in general, hugely variable.  With chillies they can look the same, but be quite tasteless.

The level of heat I am getting is quite surprising though.  I looked in Authentic Balti Curry (the Kushi book) and the recommendations here to increase the heat of your balti with chilli powder are,  Madras 1 tsp, Vindaloo 2 tsp, Phal 3 tsp or more.   

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 12:04 PM »
I looked in Authentic Balti Curry (the Kushi book) and the recommendations here to increase the heat of your balti with chilli powder are,  Madras 1 tsp, Vindaloo 2 tsp, Phal 3 tsp or more. 

... which very much accords with what Kris Dhillon wrote over 30 years ago (in 1989, to be precise) —

This is a basic curry dish which is simple to make requiring little other than the cooked chicken  and curry sauce.  If you wish to make this into a Chicken Madras, use one teaspoon of chilli powder.  Double this amount and you will get a vindaloo.

No mention of a phal, not even in the index.  The book cost £1-99 when it first came out.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes