Author Topic: Binned my Balti  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Binned my Balti
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Man, it hurts my heart to read of a poor curry experience. I look forward to a curry so much, especially with the lack of availability of BIR here in the US, that the experience of a bad dish is exponentially multiplied in my mind.  Off to buy a big sack of aged basmati and some fresh onions. Been too long since I made base. Been relying too much on Instant Pot but how’s the time to get my ALOOMINUM pan out.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 10:03 PM »
Zero chance of me going to Shababs, but I read a stack of reviews anyway. It appears they have good days, with many punters giving them 4 to 5 stars, and bad days with 1star and people saying they don't even deserve that. It's either a different chef on those days or there is a vast discrepancy in different expectations of the customers. There aren't many reviews with ratings in between, which seems a bit odd.

A recurring negative (sometimes defended by owner, whoever that is) is pricing. 10% - 20% service surcharges and 70p extra for each additional teaspoon of Chilli Powder to go from standard heat to madras to vindaloo. I can buy a whole bag of the stuff for that.  Serving size is mentioned as well, along with poor attitude of front end staff.  The owner also places blame (rightly quite possible) for poor dish condition on 3rd party delivery services.

I haven't tried Misty Ricardo's Shabab balti gravy yet but the chef Zaf fresh ingredient single serve balti is great.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 10:18 PM »
Man, it hurts my heart to read of a poor curry experience. I look forward to a curry so much, especially with the lack of availability of BIR here in the US, that the experience of a bad dish is exponentially multiplied in my mind.  Off to buy a big sack of aged basmati and some fresh onions. Been too long since I made base. Been relying too much on Instant Pot but how’s the time to get my ALOOMINUM pan out.

Robbo

The other ones are SODDERING, BAYZIL & OREGGANO (bwahahahaha), although they do have a solid argument on TOM-AY-TOE v TOM-AR-TOE (potato).

On the aloominum pan though, I've been preferring to use my pressed steel, flat bottom woks lately.  I can get much better heat and cooking control, plus being deeper I've also been getting less stove splatter.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:09 AM by livo »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 10:56 PM »
We grow a lot of bayzil in our yard and it’s delicious with a nice blue Roquefort (that my missis insists on pronouncing “ROKE-FORT”. I love that woman but it’s a struggle sometimes…
On our visit to the excellent Pete’s Fresh Market today we picked up a couple of lamb chops that I will marinate for tandoori this week, some ground lamb for keema pilau, kebabs and maybe keema matar plus some nice looking aged basmati and enough onions to make some base.
I hear you on the less splatter Livo, but I do all my BIR outdoors on the grill side burner - in the summer at least.  Maybe this fall (sorry, AUTUMN) I’ll get round to making that back yard tandoor I’ve been promising myself.  Looking forward to posting pics soon.

Robbo

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Managed to go to Shababs eventually. 

Excellent review, thanks. After reading your findings, I doubt if I will return there in October, after all.

I have now reversed my thinking and aim to visit Shababs again a.s.a.p. Here are the reasons:

1. I just watched a video  on the youtube channel 'Rate My Takeaway'. Danny visited Shababs and seemed impressed by everything he tried.  See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lYV42P1is

2. Comments below the video seem to suggest quite a few people do like the food there.

3. I just obtained a further year's subscription to 'Gourmet Society' which provides 25% discount off restaurant food and drink. I was pleased to see Shababs are still included.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 11:31 PM »
That sounds like a great idea George.  I enjoyed watching Danny.  He's quite the character and driving 3.5 hours to get there is pretty keen to say the least.  That was a big feed for one man, but he appears to have the build for it.   :smiling eyes:

Will you also be dining al fresco? It looked pretty crowded inside.  :Clown: :Clown:  It really is a scenic wonderland to behold, for sure.  I particularly like the ambiance of the bright yellow acrow prop scaffolds, and I feel the passing traffic and bewildered stares of pedestrians and road crew would really set the mood for a thoroughly enjoyable meal on the footpath.  I was reminded of images from the Greek Islands.  You can also pick up some new flavoured vaping capsules on your way back to the parking lot.  I hear the green apple and bubble gum are popular choices among the youngsters.   :like:

No, but seriously George and jokes aside, it does sound like a great idea, and I only wish I was closer so I could tag along and give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.  I really do sincerely hope that you enjoy it for your effort, and I look forward to reading your review.  What would be really great though is if you'd then give the "replica" Shababs dishes a try so you can attest or decry the claims of these being proper Brum Balti.

Keep us informed.  :smile:

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 10:04 AM »
Livo - i certainly won't be dining outside! From their interior shots, I can remember where I sat the previous twice I visited. I was going to order the same chicken balti dish again (which fits with Misty Ricardo's claim to have the recipe) but given Danny's enthusiasm for lamb balti, I may order that instead. I don't think I have his appetite or propensity to spend money, to order two dishes. £40 for a single meal is absurd by my way of thinking but he might offset that, and the motoring cost, against income from the youtube channel, I guess. Poor cameraman, going hungry while watching his boss scoff so much food.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 10:46 AM »
The cameraman doesn't always go hungry, George — I received a nice meal with all the official guests after taking these ...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 07:22 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 02:44 PM »
Phil - good photos. You deserved whatever you were given.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Thank you, George — very kind of you to say so.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes