Author Topic: Secret ingredient for that authentic 70's/80's curry  (Read 1234 times)

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
Secret ingredient for that authentic 70's/80's curry
« on: August 23, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Hi Guys. Have been looking for the secret ingredient for that authentic 70's/80's curry taste for years. Tried many different bases, spices and other ingredients without any real success. I've racked my brain trying to think what it could possibly be but finally I think I've nailed it. It was pretty obvious really, and that missing ingredient is, wait for it...beer, lots of beer. About 10 pints actually, and a few glasses of wine from Yates Wine Lodge for good measure.

Well those are the only ingredients that are missing from my time spent eating 70's/80's curries. But aged 68 I'm just not brave enough or stupid  enough to include them any more to confirm my suspicions, but do let me know if you are. Have fun.   

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Secret ingredient for that authentic 70's/80's curry
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 01:18 AM »
Well stevepaul, I'm a little younger than you, by a couple of years.  The legal age for drinking here is 18, so I didn't drink a whole lot of beer, wine or spirits in the 1970's.  I did pick up my game in the eighties but I'm afraid I can't really help you much with the correlation of these ingredients to the quality, or not, of BIR.  I don't remember having an Indian restaurant curry before about 1988. An Indian restaurant back then was a pretty rare / non-existent thing where I lived.

There's no doubt in my mind now that the big aroma is Kasuri Methi and in this instance the fresher, the better.  I just recently finished the last of my old pack which must have been 2 years old and opened a new fresh one.  Boy, what a difference!!!  Of course it's also a flavour that I love.

Secret ingredient?  Dunno, but I rarely leave beer out.

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 09:06 AM »
Personally I don't think there's a secret ingredient that we're missing. Most of us on here will make excellent curries and no doubt if we could try each others then some of us would say " That's it, that's the exact taste I've been looking for". But I must admit I loved those drunken nights out of the 70's/80's that always finished off in a curry house. Actually those nights out went on until the late 90's. But a two day hangover was more than I could cope with. Now I rarely drink at all.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 09:20 PM »
The missing ingredient is a chicken carcass, they don't do it now for vegetarian and vegan recipes

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 12:58 PM »
The missing ingredient is a chicken carcass, they don't do it now for vegetarian and vegan recipes

There is probably a lot of truth in that.
We freeze all our bones and carcasses and when we have enough they go into the slow cooker for 48 hours with a tablespoon of cider vinegar to make a bone broth. We use that as a base for all our curries, casseroles, stews and gravies.
A full slow cooker usually gives us about 2.5 litres of broth and that replaces any water or stock called for in the recipes.

©2024 Curry Recipes