Author Topic: Chilli grow 2022  (Read 2959 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli grow 2022
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 05:06 PM »
That's low temperature T63. My dehydrater has 5 or 6 trays and I deliberately go slow to avoid cooking them at all.  You could probably do it a lot quicker by bumping the temp up to 70 or 80 'C but I haven't tried it. 

I've just found 3 sources that say to cut them in half, place them flesh side up and set temp to around 50'C / 125'F to dry them in 6-8 hours.

If your method is tried and tested I think I would prefer to use that.
We didn’t grow any this year but a few overwintered from last year were trimmed back, earth refreshed but they didn’t produce much, and during the heatwave what was growing shrivelled and dropped off. Despite being regularly watered when required.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 06:44 PM »
The times I've dehydrated my chillis included a number of different types from tiny little Thai Birdseyes up to quite large Lal Mirch and several in between. Some quite fleshy and some very light, hence the time taken and the need to check and remove some as they were done.

I see nothing wrong with cutting larger ones up, removing seeds etc and trying warmer and faster dehydration.  The main thing is that they need to be completely dried or they will spoil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 12:13 AM »
With so many fruit this year, no option but to smoke them. Check these babies out.

Habaneros, jalapeños, serranos.  Lovely.

Robbo

Online Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Dried my 1" hot chillis at 50 deg C in fan oven for 6 hours - perfect - then ground them to powder & kept in air tight container for use. 1x flat teaspoon = 4 of these chillis. Scoville rating 50,000. Nice heat - not too hot.

©2024 Curry Recipes