Author Topic: Al's Kitchen - Birmingham Balti  (Read 3597 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Al's Kitchen - Birmingham Balti
« on: August 29, 2022, 10:05 AM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Al's Kitchen - Birmingham Balti
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 10:06 PM »
Well that is almost * exactly the same as the 2 cook from scratch baltis already tried, being Rishton and Shababs.

1/2 tsp of paprika, turmeric and chilli powder, (plus black pepper as a named flavour).
A pinch of methi, garam masala and cumin.
Fresh ingredients cut small, cooked fast from raw. Nothing new and apparently this is the real Birmingham Balti. (almost *)

* almost
Notable absence:  Cassia bark, carrot.
Wait a minute! Not listed in the ingredients list,  Base Gravy. :omg:  may contain cassia and carrot.

LOL.  :smile2:  Check out 8.30 when poor old mate ducks off camera to get a breath of fresh air.  The 3 ring gas burner balti has turned Al's Kitchen into a hot smoker.  :Clown:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:22 PM by livo »

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 10:14 AM »
Seems an odd recipe.  Just imagining a balti with 2 chopped thin ones and a tsp of freshly ground pepper, with MDB's base (2 tsp chilli powder option).  Reckon it would be overpowering.  With Misty's balti base more cumin powder would be needed.  I won't be trying any of this.  Santa's description of Jamie Oliver crossed my mind.  Maybe that's a bit harsh though.  Al is doing his best.  I like how he managed to smoke his kitchen out :) 

Rob       

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:39 PM »

* almost
Notable absence:  Cassia bark, carrot.
Wait a minute! Not listed in the ingredients list,  Base Gravy. :omg:  may contain cassia and carrot.

I think the base he is using is this one.  It's on the video's drop-down menu:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOn9wkjLpCc&t=0s&ab_channel=Al%27sKitchen

Everything but the kitchen sink goes in.  Loads of spices, coconut block, condensed milk, akhni stock, you name it.

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 12:54 PM »
OK, I think I see what's happening here.  Al has gone over every base gravy recipe he could find and decided to use everything ever used all in one go.  He clearly doesn't want to leave out the secret ingredient, so just put everything in.  I think he's confused sweetened condensed milk with Carnation evaporated milk and he forgot, or missed, the one which uses Asian white radish.

No wonder he cops so much flack about base gravy in the comments on the Balti video. He also takes a beating on the smoke as well. Best laugh for a while.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Yes, very funny.  When he reels off all the ingredients it reminded me of the Ronnie Barker Indian curry chef sketch.

Rob :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 02:52 PM »
Well, for all the sarcasm above, I felt that he produced what appear to be a very passable curry in a short space of time.  Since I have nowhere to store base gravy at the moment, I may have a go at this one using a liquidised sachet of Shaheen onion masala base.  And it won't be a three-ring burner or an authentic Brummie balti dish either — just an electric stove (possibly the induction one — I need to check whether it will get my mini wok hot enough) and a Lidl mini wok.

Crikey — "get it hot enough" was understatement of the year !  Very nearly set the kitchen alight, and had to carry a flaming mini wok into the garden for safety (generally agreed to be a Very Bad Idea™, but with a plastic laminated map of the world as a hob splash guard, I did not have time to try to put out the fire with a wet teacloth).  I think I had better take induction hob and mini wok into the garden if I am going to attempt an Al's Balti ...
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 10:54 PM »
I agree Phil. It actually looks to be a pretty good dish. I was just surprised when he dropped the base gravy in having already read the ingredient list.  I doubt very much that I'll be making his version of gravy and being a balti, I'd say MDB's or Misty Ricardo's would be fine (or any for that matter).

So you tried to emulate the smoke filled kitchen aspect too. I admire your dedication to detail.

I really liked the look of the texture to Al's naan. He ignored replying to inquiries about it.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 06:26 AM »
Part 2.  Al's kitchen has moved outside:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q-F-0JiMKg&ab_channel=Al%27sKitchen

Rob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 02:28 PM »
Nice to see he reads this forum. Or is it just pure coincidence he's making balti as our balti thread is in full swing. And, really, he should have used mince in that curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes