Author Topic: MDB’s Birmingham Balti Gravy 100% Clone Al Frash Balti Restaurant MKII  (Read 7673 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
That's how I do it Robbo. I add a tablespoon or two once the onions (garlic & ginger if using) are done and loosen it with a little base gravy or stock to prevent catching.  After cooking it briefly to coat everything I then just go about adding other ingredients and the base gravy addition - reduction process.

You like a bit of Chilli so you could add some to the paste or just bump it up during the dish cooking. 

In the past I've used the paste to rescue disappointing curries.  I use a small non-stick pan with a bit of oil to briefly cook the paste, add a small amount of liquid and then incorporate this into the curry.  If it's lamb I give it about 15 minutes in the multi-cooker under pressure.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I used the last of mine in 2 delicious curries last night Robbo. 1 Chicken and 1 lamb curry.  Not exactly Balti but the flavour of the paste is great anyway.  I guess I'll be needing to make a new batch myself.

The lamb I pre-cooked (made it up as I was going along like a real Balti chef) but the chicken was done from raw.  The base gravy is something I just made up last week (pretty good though and I used Panch Phoran).  I cut a big bowl of chopped onion and green capsicum, some G&G and a selection of pastes.  Balti, Rik's Madras, a Mild Curry and some Rogan Josh mixed to match the meat and a bit of Methi.  I have to say it made 2 exceptional curry dishes with the lamb cooked and cooked and reduced repeatedly to a Bhuna consistency.

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Secret Santa - I made a standard Balti last night but added a half a tsp of naga paste and must say that it was very very nice.It still retained the aromatics of the standard balti - well at least for the first three or four mouthfuls, but after that the nagas did somewhat overpower the taste. I will definitely be repeating it though. Give it a try if you found the original balti a bit bland
Regards
Mick

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Secret Santa - I made a standard Balti last night but added a half a tsp of naga paste and must say that it was very very nice.

That won't work for me. I love naga chilli paste, as a dip for nachos. But in a curry, no thanks. In any case I'm quite happy using the base with just a teaspoon or so of mix powder and a bit of chilli powder. That's sort of baseline acceptable in the flavour department for me with this base.

I'll be trying the base again soon though using your new method.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
I tried the MK2 version and, well, still bland I'm afraid. I was really hungry so I actually enjoyed the basic chicken balti I made but I just can't escape the blandness of this balti curry. I think if balti was the only type of curry I'd ever had I'd probably be ok with it but when I've had standard BIR fare to compare it to it just doesn't work for me. The base is still great though so no loss.

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
SS - if you use naga paste as a dipping sauce for nachos then Im not surprised you think the balti is bland!! Half a tsp of the stuff in a curry and Im sweating like a .......... :lol: :lol: Glad you like the gravy as a base though. I would imagine you would have to seriously reduce the additional powdered spices compared to jb's etc?
Regards
Mick

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Another reference for Mick's recipes.  Balti King Prawn and Balti Chicken at around 6:30.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3W7bKKeNpk&t=518s&ab_channel=bdnvlogs

I am looking forward to making another batch of the base gravy this weekend.

Rob

Reckon I have finally sorted a proper seekh kebab recipe.  So there may be a fine starter (or two) to serve with the 10/10 balti(s).   

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Followed the original thread with interest when it first appeared.  Made a very pleasant change to read members who do actually bother to cook and share results actually commenting on and trying this base.  Was also great to hear that the OP had achieved their aim in creating exactly what they were looking for.
So when this thread appeared, again I was hooked and followed it as it developed.  Given the positive comments on the base alone in both threads, from a number of serious BIR cooks, I was actually tempted to try it, as my base stocks were becoming depleted. Given the small qty produced and small time investment involved, I certainly had nothing to lose and could be pleasantly surprised by the results.  I’m more than happy with “my own” base which delivers exactly what I need, but I also think it’s a good thing to try recipes where a “break through” is announced which receives positive critical acclaim from other competent BIR cooks, as this has.
On the face of it, nothing new whatsoever on any of the ingredients and spices.  I did raise an eyebrow on some of the ratios though and I don’t just mean on that of the akhni stock components.  Casting my mind back to the Zaal experience, remembering the volume of whole spice in that saucepan sitting on Az’s cooker, it was good to see some actual qtys / weights in the recipe. I’m not going to get hung up on measurements, other than to say it’s always helpful for those trying to replicate a recipe, that a universal and reliable  UOM is used to minimise variations.
However, I do have one question, as I could not find clarity in either thread from anybody’s comments.  Chopped tomatoes 250 grams???  Should I be using fresh or am I to assume we are talking tinned chopped tomatoes? As I was now desperate for base, I had to opt for the latter, given the majority of bases use these, although this was a balti base.  Either way, the impact would not be catastrophic.  My only other deviation, if I’d guessed wrong on the tomatoes, was the use of a whole red pepper, as no green were in store when I was shopping.  Other than the aforementioned, everything else was to recipe spec.
So the base has been cooked using the two pot method and including the Kashmiri chilli powder.  Ordinarily, I never put chilli powder in any base, which then gives me total control over the heat element.  So when I tried the finished article, the sudden chilli tingle on the taste buds was a bit of a shock, particularly since it was Kashmiri chilli powder.  Other than this, nothing particularly stood out as being much different from many other bases I have cooked over 30+ years of doing this.  Yes, there was the aromatic aspect only to be expected from the inclusion of akhni stock but it didn’t seem to have had any discernable impact on the overall flavour of the base.
Now for the results of cooking with it.  Like two other major contributors to the thread, I have never been anywhere near a true Birmingham balti, so I cannot really comment on how close it may be to this renowned and revered dish. In fact the nearest I’ve got to a balti was a balti phal in Cheam village and I’ve no idea why this was called a balti.  I will say that the restaurant did produce quality tasty Asian food and I believe the chef was Nepalese and I just loved the balti bucket in which it was served. Given my years of eating what I class as very robustly spiced dishes, phall, vindaloo etc. I think I too may not be overwhelmed in the complexity or lack of in the accompanying recipe for the simple balti dish.  I will share the results of my experiment at the end of the week when I cook the dish.  At least it will provide a further opinion and may be encourage other cooks to try the base.  Whatever the result, I’ve enjoyed the read and I’m sure I’ll enjoy dishes produced with the base.  Thanks for posting MDB.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
curryhell it'll be interesting to hear your feedback on MDB's balti base and the basic chicken balti ... I assume you'll be doing that first? As you've not had authentic balti I want to know if you find it bland like I did.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
curryhell it'll be interesting to hear your feedback on MDB's balti base and the basic chicken balti ... I assume you'll be doing that first? As you've not had authentic balti I want to know if you find it bland like I did.
+1

As both Santa and I (plus Mrs L) found the balti bland, but we both found the base to be very good for other dishes, it will be very interesting to know your take on it.  It's a shame that others have not bothered to try it.  There are members who have actually eaten Birmingham Balti Chicken and their input would have been of value. A reduced quantity of gravy, a single chicken breast and a handful of coriander would answer many questions.

©2024 Curry Recipes