Author Topic: How often do you cook Indian at home?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
How often do you cook Indian at home?
« on: September 13, 2022, 12:38 AM »
From what I can see, Livo seems way ahead in terms of regularity. When I was single (ah, those tinned Pataks vindaloo sauces…) I probably cooked a curry of sorts twice a week. Not proper BIR, that was much less frequent. Now, living in the US, with no option of BIR, when I get a batch of base done, once a week is probably about the norm.  The missis likes a curry but I’m always wary of over doing it.  I’d honestly have Indian 3-4 times a week if I could. And Thai and Mexican the rest.
So, how often do you guys cook Indian?

Robbo

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you cook Indian at home?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 09:58 AM »
I am probably at the other end of the scale, relative to Livo. I probably haven't cooked a curry from basic ingredients for at least 12 months. And I don't think I have prepared a base sauce and/or cooked a BIR curry for several years. I keep meaning to, but never get around to it. One big incentive is the understandable but unsupportable huge increases in restaurant  and take away prices. My new approach is to never visit restaurants or cafes on my own, even for a single coffee. But to only go if I am meeting friends and on holiday, of course. So by cooking even more at home than I ever used to, I will actually save money, compared to, say, 3 years ago. The cost of occasional, local restaurant vists, and scores of coffees and snacks was too high, even before the energy costs went up. So, maybe I will prepare my favourite MarkJ base sauce again soon, and the Balti base sauces, too.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 08:27 PM »
From what I can see, Livo seems way ahead in terms of regularity. When I was single (ah, those tinned Pataks vindaloo sauces…) I probably cooked a curry of sorts twice a week. Not proper BIR, that was much less frequent. Now, living in the US, with no option of BIR, when I get a batch of base done, once a week is probably about the norm.  The missis likes a curry but I’m always wary of over doing it.  I’d honestly have Indian 3-4 times a week if I could. And Thai and Mexican the rest.
So, how often do you guys cook Indian?

Robbo

I tend to do the weekly cooking over the weekend but could do two or three Indian dishes that we would have over a few work nights with any excess going in the freezer for Ron.
Last week I did a beef Haleem and lamb madras, both of which went during the week. This weekend I just worked on another beef Haleem in an attempt to improve it.
Given the unexpected bank holiday coming up on Monday, I am going to be knocking up an Indian mixed grill with a few recipes from Kricket. That will seem me in good stead for lunches during the week.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:03 PM »
I've been a little fortunate lately. Both of my children still living at home have been eating dietary controlled, sports-oriented meals under nutritionist guidance.  This has allowed me to focus on myself for meal preparation.  My wife also enjoys the curries occasionally but is not a fan of the balti style.

It isn't all curry or Indian though.  On Monday night we ate lamb souvlaki wraps and last night we had kingfish and prawns cooked in orange juice. It's really easy, really delicious and one of my favourite meals.  I have some extra prawns and 1 lamb rump steak left over from these meals. I guess it's curry again tonight.   :smile:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 11:55 PM by livo »

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 10:13 PM »
I make curries between once a month and once a week. Sometimes I'll pull out a batch of curry base and make myself curries for lunch, just because I can, but I'll make something else for my son because he's not as fond of them as I am.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 09:49 PM »
In my younger days it would easily be four curries a week, not counting the chicken biryani and sauce eaten at least four times a week at lunchtime (happy days). Now I'm lucky if it's one a week. And for some unfathomable reason and despite being desperate to get on with the next balti base, I can't seem to empty the freezer out enough to let me freeze a batch of base sauce.

I'm also experimenting with different foods and eating times to try to cure my nocturia with very beneficial results. And quite serendipitously, I've massively reduced my morning stiffness (calm down) due to inherited osteoarthritis. The transformation is quite magical. Who needs doctors (yes I'm talking about you Dr Ashkan you useless, overpaid sawbones).

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 06:04 PM »
I had a crack at Dishooms Chicken Ruby today. Not heavily spiced but Mrs T63 reckons it would go down well at a dinner party with those who are not big curry monsters.

Got the bits for an Indian mixed grill marinading in the fridge for tomorrow

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:22 PM by tempest63 »

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 10:18 PM »
Pretty much daily. I'm a vegetarian and indian cuisine basically became my standard food years ago. But there are also times, occasionally weeks, where I'm too occupied or just too lazy.

©2024 Curry Recipes