Author Topic: Goat curry  (Read 510 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Goat curry
« on: October 15, 2022, 04:09 PM »
Yesterday I made this paste, thank you Livo.
https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/balti-paste-scratch/n805h9rv

To my nose, the paste seemed very cinnamon heavy. I was a bit concerned my curry would turn out like a spicy Xmas pud, but in for a penny…
I did this in my Instant Pot (IP) electric pressure cooker but could easily be adapted to simple fry then cook meat till tender over longer period.

Marinate 1lb goat stew meat in 1 cup yoghurt, 1 TBSP ginger garlic paste for 4 hours. Would probably be OK overnight but I didn’t have the time.

Turn IP to sauté mode. Add 1 chef spoon oil. When hot, add 1 chopped onion and sauté 5 mins till golden.

Add 1 TBSP ginger garlic paste and 1 tsp salt and fry a minute or so.
Add 2-3 TBSP balti paste and fry 2-3 mins, adding a little water to loosen things up and prevent sticking. Inhale deeply, it smells amazing.
Turn off IP and add a can of diced tomatoes, stir to mix.
Add the marinated goat and mix well.
Pressure cook on high pressure for 30 mins. Natural pressure release 10 mins then manual vent.
Remove the meat and stick blend the sauce before adding back the meat.  I was expecting to need to add cream to thicken the sauce, as I do with the IP butter chicken recipe, but this didn’t need it. I think it must be the combination of cooking the onions down first and the yoghurt marinade, but it was certainly thick enough.
Add chopped fresh coriander and serve over basmati rice with garlic naan.

This is a mild dish but very tasty. While the rice was finishing in the oven, I put a few Thai chillies in a pan with a little oil, added my portion of the curry and heated through and it was very good.  A simple dish to cook and I’m looking forward to trying this paste with Mick’s balti base too. Bound to be good.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Goat curry
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 09:16 PM »
I hope you enjoy the paste Robbo. I just made a new batch as well on Friday, which I think is my 4th jar.  The difficulty with cinnamon is that the recipe calls for 2 sticks.  This is problematic in that it gives no indication of actual quantity and also the uncertainty between true cinnamon and Indian cinnamon (ie Cassia). For this last batch I used 2 fairly small pieces (3 inch by half inch) of uncurled cassia bark.  I don't ever recall the paste causing heavy cinnamon taste and considering the amount of cassia in MDB's gravy it's pretty safe.

The other thing is to use Tej Pat bay leaf. 

I've already made a lamb curry using the paste and a fresh batch of Syeds base gravy and freshly roasted mixed powder. I love the stuff.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 12:54 AM »
Yes, I used a couple pieces cassia, each 3” long and the correct Indian bay and the result was very good, with no cinnamon dominance at all.  Will definitely be making more of this paste.  I did add an extra tablespoon of oil as the paste was a bit dry, but it came together in the end.  The curry I cooked was based on the Instant Pot butter chicken method I’ve had some success with. Very simple, and probably very repeatable.  Will find out later this week when I have another bash.  The 2-ingredient simple marinade also worked out well on the goat. Have to try that on chicken.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 03:53 AM »
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that it takes more oil than the recipe says.  If it dries off or you scoop oil out I usually just add a bit more to the jar to ensure it remains covered.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:34 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes