Author Topic: To sieve or not to sieve  (Read 674 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
To sieve or not to sieve
« on: October 26, 2022, 12:54 AM »
Yesterday I made another batch of Mick’s excellent Balti base.  Made the missis the standard balti, nothing added, and for me, a few enhancements, Thai chillies, extra garlic, few spices and was delicious.

When I made the base this time though, I put it through a chinois (oooh, look at me, a chinois sounds posh to this northern working class lad).

I’m pretty sure I read a very old ChewyTikka post where he’d put base through a food mill to remove some fibrous material, so I thought I’d give that a go.
And lo and behold, look how much stuff I got out.  Tomato skin, pepper skin, fresh ginger fibers made quite a haul.

Did I notice a difference in the finished curry? All silk smooth and luscious? No.
When I make the base, I do stick blend it for a good amount of time, but that chinois (yes, I said it again) certainly did strain some material out.
But, as with every other time I’ve cooked with Mick’s base, the results were very good.
A strong recommend for base from my point of view.

Robbo

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: To sieve or not to sieve
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 02:03 PM »
Hi Robbo

Glad to hear both you and the missis are still enjoying the base

Kind Regards

Mick

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:24 PM »
Makes no difference and just takes out all the good fibre.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 12:28 AM »
Agreed, it really didn’t make any difference, but had to try it.  Still makes for a great base though.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes