Author Topic: removing oil from cooked curry at dish fry  (Read 4133 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
removing oil from cooked curry at dish fry
« on: November 14, 2022, 02:51 PM »
am going to give this a further go.

in past have used chef spoon (per happy-chris madras video).

its a lot of a drag and as a result avoided by keeping dish fry oil and base oil just enough to keep the BIR product but with almost no oil on the surface of the fried curry.

am looking for an more efficient way - current though being what i can only describe as a metal perforated plate to hold against the pan on an angle (a bit like draining pasta with a pan lid that is perforated). the closest seems to be called skimmer frying spoon.

if anyone already uses please give details. there seems to be too many types to choose from.

the concern being my pan rim is 10 inch and feel a spoon may be too small to stop the curry flowing out around the sides.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: removing oil from cooked curry at dish fry
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 06:17 PM »
To be honest, Jerry, I almost never bother.  Since I add both garlic-infused oil and ginger-infused oil when cooking or re-heating a supermarket curry, I clearly think that "more is better" in this respect.  I would need a layer of oil to a depth in excess of 1/8" before I would think it worthwhile to try to spoon some off.
--
** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 11:00 AM »
I also like a quite generous amount of oil on top of most curry dishes Jerry.  It I get way too much I transfer the curry from pan to foil TA tray and tip it off.  The corner act as a spout, sort of.  Have only tried this with drier dishes though.

Rob

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 12:10 PM »
We always cook a curry a few days before we intend to eat it so it “matures” in the fridge.
The fat or oil rises to the top, solidifies and can easily be removed with a spoon.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Jerry -  I tend to faff around with the curry in the pan at the end of cooking and catch what I can with the spoon. Invariably some sauce gets removed as well but I just tip it all into the gravy pot anyway rather than bin it

I know you used to like currys from Highbridge Rd Erdington. I always found them really good but really oily as well! Bengal Gardens by the Boldmere pub was our goto curry house in the early 80s!

Regards

Mick

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 05:39 PM »
Bengal Gardens by the Boldmere pub was our goto curry house in the early 80s!

When in my as hot as possible phase (10 years ago) the Bengal Gardens' Chicken Ceylon came highly recommended.  Very good spiky curry.  Wonder if they are still going.

Rob 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 07:00 PM »
thank you all for trying to help. i was hoping someone would say i use "this" and it works a treat. going to get a few ebay samples and try them out.

interest came from eating at local BIR where the oil was just getting out of control (new chef). after asking at order for "no oil" was amazed how the subsequent curries tasted just as good yet pretty much all the surface oil was gone.

i plan to recycle into the next base (per curryqueen). the faff might not have to be quite as much as i think as sauce could be carried over to a certain extent (per mickdabass).

am hoping this will fix a few niggles in my BIR jigsaw:

- CA's method of getting smoke into the curry
- Zaal method of infusing garlic into the curry

these rely on using more oil (2 chef spoon instead of my norm 1 chef spoon or 4 tbsp or 60ml) which end up as surface oil which would be better "perception" put into the next base.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 11:02 AM »
Bengal Gardens by the Boldmere pub was our goto curry house in the early 80s!

When in my as hot as possible phase (10 years ago) the Bengal Gardens' Chicken Ceylon came highly recommended.  Very good spiky curry.  Wonder if they are still going.

Rob

It has completely gone Im afraid. Looks like a bomb hit the place

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 08:16 PM »
have received 1st piece of kit to try out. may have to wait a few weeks to make base say over xmas.

not totally convinced it will work as there are gaps in the corners. i ordered 8" mesh to suit the 10" pan. there is a 10" mesh if the 8" passes muster but not quite perfect.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 08:27 PM »
How is it intended to work, Jerry ?
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes