Author Topic: removing oil from cooked curry at dish fry  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: removing oil from cooked curry at dish fry
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 07:25 PM »
That looks like a Longlife medium weight pan you have got there Jerry.  I have one, 8", the smaller size recommended to me by a couple of BIR chefs, for saag, etc.  Got it from Uncles Home Store.  I think they are gone too; not 100 % though.  Interested to see how the skimming goes.

Rob

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 05:24 PM »
Phil,

not 100% how its going to work. my thought is to keep a glass measuring jug close to the cooking. when the curry is cooked placed the skimmer over the pan (to hold back the curry) and hope the oil excess drains into the jug. this oil i will freeze and start the next base.

when i say not 100% how its going to work - most dish i currently cook (1 chef spoon starting oil 4 tbsp 60ml) have no oil on top as it gets burned off during the baghar. the CA smoke and zaal garlic start/use 2 chef and thats when i get too much oil. am also thinking that maybe to use 2 chef as standard to get more skimmed for use in the next base.

its essentially going to be trial and error.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 08:07 AM »
I was watching one of those "life hacks" compilation videos on Bookface the other day, and they simply tossed a couple of tampons into the pan to mop up the excess oil. Worked a treat

Online Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 11:58 AM »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 09:04 PM »
Ghoulie, many thanks will have good read through link. am exploring the "science" in spare time

have got prep done to try out the big fly swatter (oil skimmer). pic shows stage1 mytake base under oil, panpot bunjarra, IFFU tikka.

ps have left the yogurt out of the tikka marinade per livo bbq lamb suggestion

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 09:20 AM »

not totally convinced it will work as there are gaps in the corners. i ordered 8" mesh to suit the 10" pan. there is a 10" mesh if the 8" passes muster but not quite perfect.

Tried this a few years ago with very limited success.

Good Luck

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 01:27 PM »
have given the 8" fly swatter a go. poor result the base passed around the gap to the pan edge (it caught a little oil but not enough to be worth the effort).

next time going to put swatter down in middle of pan and spoon off the oil from the top of the mesh.

on the +ve side - felt if the mesh can work it makes life easier as i felt on this cook i did not need to worry about using too much oil. eg on the base stage 2 cook after thinning i usually skim of the oil - this time just left it

PS tikka without yogurt in marinade is a keeper - it looked better and no real change on tenderness

©2024 Curry Recipes