Author Topic: I Am The King - Chicken and Mushroom Balti  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
I Am The King - Chicken and Mushroom Balti
« on: November 17, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Not seen the before.  Interesting to see that, apparently,  Adils were not the only Birmingham balti house using tandoori masala in their dishes.  Quite a lot too.  Cogs whirring.

https://thebirminghambaltibowlco.com/blogs/news/i-am-the-king-chicken-and-mushroom-balti

Rob

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Re: I Am The King - Chicken and Mushroom Balti
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 06:01 PM »
Crikey!  Just spotted the "handful of dried methi".  No chance.  Reckon that's what I got at Shababs (bin-bound).  Still, interesting though.

Rob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 10:19 PM »
Crikey!  Just spotted the "handful of dried methi".

Can't help feeling that's a typo although what's a "handful" anyway? I imagine it's an open palm rather than a fistful. I have no objection to that quantity myself but it would definitely qualify the dish as a methi chicken and mushroom rather than just chicken and mushroom. Certainly looking at the other ingredients this will be much more up my street than the basic and indisputably bland basic chicken balti

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Isn't it about time you tried to make the ultimate base gravy again Santa?  Third time lucky and all that.  You just need to follow the recipe properly and you won't mess it up.  Get in the right frame of mind, unlike last time, when you predicted another botched outcome.  This time, before you start, try doing a couple of yoga poses. You can ask Alexa!

Rob  :wink:

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Well I tried it and it wasn't bad at all. The emphasis is definitely on the methi though with the quantity used so if methi isn't your thing you're never going to like it. I'd probably use just mix powder next time instead of the tandoori masala, turmeric and garam masala combo as I didn't feel it hit the spot.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 01:31 AM »
That sounds promising to me SS.  What base gravy did you use?  The listed one or something different?  Did you use chicken leg of breast?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:07 AM »
The dried methi does seem to crop up regularly for the balti.  Here's another recipe from the same author.

https://thebirminghambaltibowlco.com/blogs/news/balti-aphrodisiac

I might make this soon.  Have some fresh red chillies in the freezer and it's a good excuse to buy some pistachios.  I would leave the GM out, or maybe just a pinch at the end.

Rob 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 02:15 PM »
What base gravy did you use?

I used MDB's balti base livo. And plain chicken breast. I'd have preferred precooked chicken but had run out. Try it with the spices to spec to see if you think, like I did, that it might be better with plain mix powder instead. Also I used about a fistful of methi which I'm guessing is about three tablespoons or there abouts.

©2024 Curry Recipes